July 1, 2012

The Reading Files - Jennifer Laurens

This past week has obviously been dedicated to just one author. Jennifer Laurens. I rarely read contemporary fiction of any sorts so this was a nice detour from my usual fare.

A Season Of Eden (Jennifer Laurens)
paperback
Source: won
Genre: YA Contemporary

He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible. I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.

Title & Cover: Hmmm ... promising!
Story: Eden falls in love with the new teacher. Yep, that's about it.
Narrative: Average, didn't really rock my boat.
Characters: Could have used more depth, especially Eden's family was nothing more than props.
Thoughts: I admit, I was waiting for things to get steamy, but the theme of student-teacher relationship was pretty subdued. I mean, a 18 year old girl and a 22 year old guy? Big deal. Certainly not the best book on the topic, yet worthwhile enough for me.


Overprotected (Jennifer Laurens)
paperback
Source: won
Genre: YA Contemporary

Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City. Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard. Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector. Daddy thought I d be safe. He thought I d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever. Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin. Daddy was wrong. A kidnapping leaves a father fanatical about his only child's safety. A story of obsessive love and the quest for independence.

Title & Cover: Ack, I would've thought Colin was a bit more attractive than that.
Story: Ashlyn falls in love with her new body-guard. I think I can see a pattern with Lauren's books.
Narrative: Ok, but I was "prepared" after having read a book by the author before.
Characters: Meh ... couldn't connect to any of them.
Thoughts: This one must have been the one I liked the least of all three novels. Too chliche with girl falling for guy who she hated when they were still kids. I mean, is it really necessary to switch from contempt to lust within seconds? Even more so, too many similarities to the plot of A Season Of Eden. Rich girl, dysfunctional family, Dad's a lawyer, and the part the piano plays. Too foreseeable.


Heavenly (Jennifer Laurens)
#1 Heavenly
paperback
Source: won
Genre: YA Paranormal

I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. 
Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.

Title & Cover: Somehow that combination of the face in the clouds is just kinda weird. The sequels are similar, yet look better. Strange, I know.
Story: Zoe falls in love ... you get the idea. This time though it's a guardian angel which throws the novel into paranormal territory.
Narrative: I can feel a subtle improvement in the writing, yay!
Characters: Now we're talking! They finally feel like real people with real problems.
Thoughts: Let's just say the cold weather in the book actually helped a tiny little bit with the heat we currently have. And additionally I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed this unique twist on guardian angels. Great mix of plot and characters, and a few tears shed at the end. Need to read the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment