July 1, 2012

Review - Twilight Robbery (Frances Hardinge)

Mosca Mye and Eponymous Clent are in trouble again. Escaping disaster by the skin of their teeth, they find refuge in Toll, the strange gateway town where visitors may neither enter nor leave without paying a price. By day, the city is well-mannered and orderly; by night, it's the haunt of rogues and villains. Wherever there's a plot, there's sure to be treachery, and wherever there's treachery, there's sure to be trouble - and where there's trouble, Clent, Mosca and the web-footed apocalypse Saracen can't be far behind. But as past deeds catch up with them and old enemies appear, it looks as if this time there's no way out ...

Review
Finding themselves in a town where everything is divided into day and night, and the wrong name can put you right into the dangerous nocturnal realms, orphan Mosca Mye and her friend Eponymous Clent once again find trouble ahead and trouble on their heels too. Little did I know that Twilight Robbery by Frances Hardinge is actually the second novel about the girl Mosca Mye, but rest assured it can easily be read as a stand alone novel.
Once again I need to put on my comparison hat and point out how much Hardinge's writing style reminds me of Terry Pratchett. Let's add the fact that the whole book has this subtle Discworld-esque feel to it. Not in a copycat kind of way, but the whole vibe of the city and its characters will certainly indulge fans of the former, me definitely being one of them.
The plot as such is an engrossing adventure full of twists and slightly foreseeable turns, but this fact didn't dull the enjoyment for me in the least. And oh the wonderfully quirky cast, including Saracen, the goose with an attitude! Is there such a thing as four-dimensional characters? If so, this is the place to find them.
While many adults hesitate to try out books aimed at a younger readership, the age of the main protagonist shouldn't keep you from giving it a try. I promise, you will not be disappointed.
In short: Yet another amazing novel by a marvelous wordsmith!

5/5 stars

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Pan MacMillan. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Just looking at the cover I wanted to add it to my wishlist...and your review has just added it. Though I will probably try and get the first book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not get both while you're at it *grins*. And obviously I put the first book on my wishlist too!

      Delete