July 22, 2012

The Reading Files - It is a truth universally acknowledged ...

... that a book blogger taking a holiday would barely have had time to open a book before the first mosquito sets in for a landing. Or something like that. Actually, to be perfectly honest with you, I am not much of a reader when on vacation, but I figured a few lazy days at the spa do warrant taking at least a book along. One book, my dears. And I didn't even finish it while away. I made it to page 368 though (before polishing it off yesterday afternoon). You see, I spent my time soaking in the water, trying not to get a sunburn (which of course I did despite slathering on a gallon of sunscreen and staying in the shade) taking some leisurely walks and taking about a gazillion pictures of the sheep and pigs they had nearby (you can tell someone's from "the city" when she'll run around with her camera and snaps photos of pretty much anything "rural"). Anyway.

Snuff (Terry Pratchett)

Thoughts. Vimes is going on vacation which seemed a perfect fit for taking the novel on my own vacay as well. Good thing I didn't stumble over any dead goblins though and while I did miss the city aka Ankh-Morpork a wee bit, watching Vimes (almost) singlehandedly solving a vicious crime certainly made up for this.

Random quote. "What in the world have you got on you that tells me you are an official policeman?", enquired Vimes over his shoulder.
"I have the official truncheon, sir. It's a family heirloom."
(p. 136)

Verdict. Discworldian whodunnit with a bit of pride and lots of prejudice!

2 comments:

  1. I still envy you for those days at the spa last year... that place is definitely on my list with things to do/go in our life time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess uploading some vacation pics on FB will result in yourself drooling all over your keyboard, right? ;-)

      Delete