July 6, 2012

This isn't Fiction - Welcome to an all new feature!

First of all I want to thank everyone for participating in the recent blog survey, sharing your thoughts and questions on everything non fiction. Luckily there weren't just folks who do like to indulge in some non fiction every now and then, but also those who seem to have an innate dislike towards everything that isn't fiction. Luckily? Why, yes, of course! Where would the fun be if we only shared out love for non fiction? Looking at non fiction from more than one angle will spice up our weekly discussions in my brand new feature.


So, what can you expect from this journey into the world of non fiction?
A lot. Not only will I answer the questions you've asked in the survey, I will also give book recommendations, maybe share some facts on the genre, and top it off with a guest post or two.

Today though I'm going to share some of the results of the survey!


The biggest surprise must have been that 61% generally do like non fiction. That's a good start, I'd say.

After presenting you a list of various non fiction genres I asked those of you who don't like non fiction whether they might want to give non fiction a try after all. A whopping 35% said Yes and 20% Maybe, which leaves us with a measly 5% who obviously really don't find any merit in non fiction. I can live with that.



Something that I was most curious about were your answers regarding preferred non fiction genres!

Here's a run down of your personal Top Ten:
History 53%
Autobiography/Biograpy/Memoir 49%
Humor 44%
Food & Drink 42%
Travel 37%
Language & Literature 35%
Crafts 34%
Culture 31%
Entertainment 31%
Arts & Photography 29%

And how about a Top Five of your least favorite genres?:
Sports 3%
Esoteric 5%
Parenting & Family 5%
Business/Economy 8%
Politics 10%

And here are just some of the reasons why you like non fiction ...

I like non-fiction as there's nothing more entertaining than real life!

Non fiction is the way to knowledge. You can gain some here and there from fiction books, and I do so love fiction novels, but to actually learn something you really need nonfiction.

I like a particular type of nonfiction, that is, nonfiction that tells a story, that reads like a novel. That type of nonfiction is better than fiction simply because it really happened.

Non Fiction is just my way to satisfy my curiosity, learn more about things I am interested in.


And here's what's been said by those who dislike non fiction ...

Mostly it's boring compared with the out of this world stuff that happens in fiction books.

I just think it's not as interesting and/or exciting as fiction!

When I read, I like to escape from reality, so I don't like something 'real'.

Can sometimes contain too much facts and written in a dry manner which can put me to sleep.


That last one was hopefully not meant in a literal way, oh my!

Before I go I want to do a little bragging too. Out of curiosity I asked some basic stuff which hasn't go to do with the survey itself. And guess what? I haven't just got followers worldwide, I've even got a few from *lifts forefinger and points it upwards*.


Impressed? So am I. *wink*

2 comments:

  1. Your blog reached outer space! That is smashing :))
    Anyway, I am looking forward to reading more about your favorite nonfiction books. I am in the middle of rediscovering F.S. Fitzgerald through his letters and different biographies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very much looking forward to your new feature...:)

    ReplyDelete