September 3, 2012

A Writer's Life - Let's work that net!

Social networking. One of the most important things when it comes to being both an author and a blogger. And obviously for a good reason. After all, they offer a powerful tool to reach your target aka readers. Yet sometimes I get this distinct feeling that many totally and completely overdo it. I mean, playing around with a dozen different social networks inbetween writing and/or blogging can't be all there is to life, right? Even if it's the "writing life" as I'd like to add.

Personally I feel that it's better to focus on not more than three social outlets, because that way you will be able to interact with others on a more regular and deeper level than, say, joining ten different online networks where you only visit once a month to leave a comment or two. Of course three is just what I personally feel is a good and manageable number, this could be two or seven for someone else.

Granted, with all the opportunities the internet provides it is hard to only pick a handful of social media sites, but remember, it's not about quantity, but quality!


So, which are my preferred sites to mingle with others?

My blog.

Yep, folks, that's it. My blog. So scratch that plural in the question above.

Of course you may also find me on Facebook (yep, finally caved and created a fan page for my blog this weekend, so head on over and like me if you haven't done so already), Pinterest (my latest addiction, I admit it, plus you can share so much about books there too), Goodreads and LibraryThing (both to keep my TBR piles in check and share my reviews, and I know actually only one would be necessary but I like both for different reasons).

I know some authors, and bloggers for that matter, whose lists of social networks are humongous, and admittedly yours truly has signed up for one too many herself in the early days. Of course then I ended up never having time to spend on those sites and that was that. These websites include the Blogaholic Social Network, Book Blogs, and She Writes. I'm not saying these sites aren't worth spending time on and interacting with fellow writers or bloggers, but ultimately they simply aren't a priority.

And then, how could I ever forget, Twitter. Still not on there and no intention whatsoever to change that. I'm not known for being a frequent updater on Facebook, so I already know that after three weeks filled with enthusiastic tweeting my account would look like the Mohave Desert. I know what I'm talking about. Google+ is the best proof for this. I signed up, got super excited, pretty much singing songs of praise for the new kid in town, and one day this feeling was replaced by boredom which happened to coincide with Facebook getting yet another major overhaul that made me return into its open arms.

What it all boils down to is this. Make social networks work for you, but don't let them take over your life. Use them wisely and don't act like a kid in the candy shop. That's about it.

How about yourself? Ever get the feeling that you're dancing at too many parties when it comes to social networking? How many sites are you using frequently? Which ones? And most of all, any other non-Tweeters out there? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I think you might be surprised about twitter. I am not very active on FB and am pretty bad at commenting on blogs, except for a few, but I love twitter. The nice thing is that you have to keep it short and you can tweet from about anywhere. Pinterest, tumbl, wherever you are you can tweet and you never have to write a novel either, just link people up and add a short sentence, if that. Twitter works for me perfectly. You hsould try it out!

    ReplyDelete