September 1, 2012

Pajama Musings - Books are in the air!

September. The month when school starts again (at least where I live). September. The month I was born in. September. The month when summer slowly melts into fall.

I've always loved September. I never quite felt the same about school though. Still I remember the first weeks at school quite fondly. I was set on being a good student, doing my homework in a timely manner, in other words the usual delusional thoughts I had every year. Inevitably my enthusiasm usually left me by early October. If I was lucky.

Yet there was something I always cherished when a new school year started. The books. Yes, school books, but nonetheless books. Maybe this is something not to be bragged about but I will do so anyway. I loved my school books. Or maybe it was just this intoxicating scent of new books.

Copyright by 123RF

Depending on the schools I went to copies for each class were handed out in school or we received vouchers and got them in bookshops nearby. I almost don't dare say this, but I was always terribly disappointed when I had to actually wait for a book a week because it wasn't in stock *gasp*. Luckily though that happened very rarely and I was a happy little camper hauling home tons of books for the school year. I smelt, I sniffed, I inhaled deeply. And now that I think about it, I have this suspicion that they added some kind of aroma to the typical new-book-scent which secretly enhanced the joy of learning. You see, interestingly enough the scent and the allure of holding (and once again sniffing) those books evaporated at about the same time. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

After this, in hindsight, kinda weird little confession (I'm too lazy to write a whole new blog post so I guess I will just have to deal with your reactions, be it raucous laughter or pitiful glances) I wonder - am I the only one who treasured her school books? Well, at least until their alluring scent evaporated along with my motivation, haha *cough*. Please share!

6 comments:

  1. I loved the new school books! I used to spend the first week of school in September perusing them all :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like me ... they only lost their allure when they didn't emit that lovely new-book-smell anymore.

      Delete
  2. It's the month of my brother's birthday^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just sent you an email ( if it's not in your spam box)could you tell me if you avccept?

      thank you

      Delete
  3. I bet you could understand exactly why I enjoyed working in a library for 20 years even tho I was just a custodian. (Hint- it wasn't because of the work) lol

    ReplyDelete