October 20, 2012

Pajama Musings - We all have our Captcha to bear

I've never been a friend of it and maybe the pressure has simply had enough time of building up inside of me, but right now I have this inexorable urge to strangle certain bloggers who've still got Captcha enabled on their blogs. In some cases, and on the blogger equivalent of bad-hair days, I even feel like un-following various Captcha-invested blogs just out of principle. I've never actually done that. So far. But trust me when I say that I'm THIS close to do so.

You want me to comment on one of your blog posts? Even more so, do you want me to remain a reader of your blog? Then shut those damn things off or else (this is goodbye).

Alright, I might be a little late to rant about the not-so-new-anymore Captcha which Blogger implemented earlier this year. That doesn't make it any less annoying though. I'm sure you've encountered it before (not on my blog, mind you) and in the rare case that you're one of the lucky few who hasn't got the slightest touch of an idea what I'm talking about, have a look at these ...


Come on! Seriously? You don't just prove that you're not a robot if you're able to decipher these. You also show off some noteworthy psychic abilities if you are able to guess some of those examples. And if it wouldn't be bad enough to play the guessing game for one lousy comment, imagine the fun to be had when you want to enter a giveaway and need to leave a comment for every single extra entry while Captcha is enabled. That can get your heart-rate up, I'm telling you. Good thing I tend to have low blood pressure, 'cause otherwise this couldn't possibly be healthy. I'm talking coronary (best case) or homicidal rage (worst case).

And it's not even as though blogs would receive that much spam that one could justify using Captcha. I get maybe two a month and usually those land in the spam-folder anyway. I've heard other bloggers discuss this and most claim to very rarely getting spam comments. So why? Why!?!?

To be fair though, there are some alternatives out there. Captcha for the playful. Captcha for those too stupid to decipher the mumble jumble above. I honestly don't mind one of those, 'cause all you need to do is click once and you're done. So, you see, I don't mind those cute and easy to use Captchas out there.


But generally I find myself in the following kind of situation ...

Copyright by Geek and Poke

... and I'm pretty sure I don't need another Master Degree!

What's your take on Captcha? Hate it with a vengeance too? Comment away in the safe knowledge that you won't have to prove you're a human being.

11 comments:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only one to find those so annoying. When they have two safeguards, my computer starts doing strange things and wont let me inter at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're just awful, aren't they?! I have a spam catcher on my blog and can't stand captchas... I can barely read the things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that little comic strip is so funny! Love it. Other than that, I know you love my math captcha, :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I have to do something about it, cause I like to comment on certain blogs with this thingy, but then I just don't cause my motivation totally fades when I see this box. I've been thinking what to do... should I write about it on my blog and hope that those readers will see the post or should I just ask them to remove it? It's kinda hard for me cause I'm always-trying-to-be-kind type of person. :D but I like the alternative you shared. I can show it to bloggers who claim how much spam they receive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. So far I never told any blogger about this, because I figured they have it enabled on purpose. Yet I remember when they changed to the new Blogger layout a few months ago, and no matter your initial settings, suddenly I had Captcha on my blog again (though I changed this pretty quick). But it would have been a long time NOT to notice this happening on your own blog, right? That's why I never left a respective comment.

      Delete
  5. I hate captcha, but two times I've made a remark to my blogger friends that I was having difficulties commenting on their blog because of unreadable captcha, they actually got rid of it. Apparently they thought their captcha was disabled and it wasn't. As everyone was super polite and didn't tell them about it they didn't know. Bizarre, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, I was thinking that they probably don't even know... I'm just gonna say it next time. :)

      Delete
    2. I think I will do the same now. As mentioned in a comment further above, I simply assumed that it's done on purpose because the settings changed (for whatever reason) when Blogger switched to the new layout and I figured by now everyone must have noticed if they suddenly had Captcha on their blog, especially if they didn't have it before. Apparently my assumption was wrong ...

      Delete
  6. I loved this post. CAPTCHA is just appalling! I really can't be bothered with getting involved in a comment thread on blogs with CAPTCHAs because it ends in serious brain ache! I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem! I have started using a CAPTCHA bypass browser extension called rumola so i never have to read the blighters again and it seems to be really effective and reliable! I would recommend it to all you CAPTCHA haters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds interesting. I will look into it, so thanks for sharing!

      Delete