October 2, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten "Older" Books You Don't Want People To Forget About


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.

Top Ten "Older" Books 
You Don't Want People To Forget About

The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales - I know fairy tale retellings are all the rage and I admit I've read a couple really good ones too, but you just can't beat the originals.

Peter Pan (J.M. Barrie) - How I loved that book as a kid. Talk about re-reading like crazy. Like I always say, books aren't just for their intended age group, so grab yourself a copy.

Five on a Treasure Island (Enid Blyton) - A children's book? Again? You bet. The Famous Five is just one of a number of great series written by Enid Blyton, and one of my favorites.

A Christmas' Carol (Charles Dickens) - Maybe now isn't the time to confess that I never quite got around reading this book *ducks and runs* but I have every intention of doing so before the year is up. The reason I am still adding the book to the list is because I have watched half a dozen TV adaptations over the years *cough* and I just really love the story.

And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie) - Nothing like a good old fashioned murder mystery and, let's face it, Agatha did a darn good job with her murderous storytelling.

Animal Farm (George Orwell) - Funny how you hate books when you had to read them in school and only ever come to appreciate them when you've grown up.

Phantoms (Dean Koontz) - As much as you might be looking forward to your favorite author's new book, re-reading (or shall I say, re-discovering) one of their early novels is always a treat!

The Bible - It really doesn't matter whether you look at the Bible from a solely religious angle, whether you just conceive it as a document of history or whether you take it as a literary work. The Bible is worth reading for all these reasons.





I know I know ... those aren't ten books *hangs head in shame* but as some of you might have noticed, it's the first time I am participating in this meme (about time too, I'd say), so given a little time I'm sure I'll settle in nicely and will be able to present you with full Top Ten lists each Tuesday!

Which "older" books would you put on that list?

22 comments:

  1. I loved Animal Farm. It was required reading when I was in school and the story really stuck with me.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, and I often find myself quoting such "older" books ... one of my favs being "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"!

      Delete
  2. Fairytales are amazing :) Nothing can beat the old ones indeed, although.. some of the retellings are coming real close.

    My TTT @thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, I haven't read all that many fairy tale retellings, but I loved "Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce which I devoured recently. It's not exactly coming close to the original, but nonetheless a fantastic novel!

      Delete
  3. Hi Birgit,
    Those are some good choices! I totally agree on Grimm's fairy Tales too. Much other fiction can trace its inspiration back to them.
    -Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must admit I haven't read them for a while now, but intend to do so pretty soon.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love a bunch of these! Including the Bible and Grimm. :) Peter Pan is just beautiful. And Then There Were None absolutely terrified me--wouldn't say I loved it, but it was one of the best-structured mysteries I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! Obviously out tastes are pretty similar and I agree, Agatha sure knew how to turn on the thrill-o-meter in her stories.

      Delete
  5. I love Animal Farm, I still quote it fairly regularly. I also loved Phantoms by Dean Koontz, it reminds me why he's famous because early on he was very good (I don't care for much of his newer material). My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm not the only one disappointed by Koontz's newer works. It's a shame really how everything started to go downhill after "Odd Thomas", but oh well, you can always re-read the older books!

      Delete
  6. Hey, I was surprised to see you participating, but how fun! Yes, Enid Blyton! It is a shame that nowadays children don't seem to read her anymore. When I was a kid she was THE author. However, my fav was the mystery series, not the famous five or adventure books. And, of course, Hanni und Nanni, :).
    What is your favourite Christmas Carol movie? I really hate animations and dolls of any kind (surprise!), but I LOVE the Muppet movie! And the one with Bill Murray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the Hanni & Nanni books too! A shame how these days Blyton is pretty much forgotten, well except for us oldtimers!
      My fav Christmas Carol movie is the one with Patrick Steward! What can I say? I love Star Trek so I'm prejudiced, hahaha!

      Delete
    2. I don't think I have seen that one, must ask John whether we have it. Hey, I LOVE Star Trek, big Captain Picard fan, even though my fav series would be DS9. But who can resist Patrick Stewart?

      Delete
  7. Great choices - Phantoms is perfect old-school Koontz horror. I listened to it on audio a few years ago - so creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly on my re-read list! I also own it on DVD though the movie is pretty bad I must say.

      Delete
  8. That is quite the eclectic collection! Great post.

    I would probably pick the following off my shelf as great older books not to be forgotten:
    The Neverending Story
    The Last Unicorn
    The Princess Bride
    Robin Hood
    The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, some great suggestions there! It's been ages since I read "The Neverending Story" and the others, while I never read them *shame on me* sound great too.

      Delete
  9. YESSSSSSSSS for And Then There Were None! Oooh, and Peter Pan! If you venture into YA at all, you'd probably like Code Name Verity (by Elizabeth Wein) and Ten (by Gretchen McNeil). CNV references Peter Pan frequently and Ten is a loose retelling of ATTWN.

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-top-ten-older-books-you.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing some new to me books - I will have to check them out on Goodreads!

      Delete
  10. Excellent list! I would suggest adding Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. It is a book I have re-read many times since I was a kid and get something new from each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I hope Amy won't read this as she gifted me a book by Alcott with three of her novels some time ago and so far I haven't got around reading it. My TBR piles are out of control!!!

      Delete
  11. books from la comtesse de mon segur^^;;, i took a good time with those)

    ReplyDelete