November 12, 2012

A Writer's Life - Write or Die

After last week's confession it's time to show that little procrastinator inside who the boss is. Before I do that I'll just take a nap ... just kidding!

If you've ever found yourself sitting in front of the computer, just staring at the screen, blinking cursor and all, yet nothing else moving within arm's range, then it's about time to think of methods that put things back in motion. And what better than having the Damocles Sword dangling above your head!

Actually I found the website when I was on the lookout for stuff to post in the Beyond the Shelf feature. Then I figured, it actually works better as a follow-up to last week's procrastination post. Sooo ...


Write or Die is a web application that encourages writing by punishing the tendency to avoid writing. Start typing in the box. As long as you keep typing, you’re fine, but once you stop typing, you have a grace period of a certain number of seconds and then there are consequences.

See? Put the pressure on and you'll find yourself typing away like a maniac. At least in theory. I mean, does this really work? I haven't tried it out. Yet. Though by the sound of it this program's been made for me.

Putting negative reinforcement to the test you can choose the mode which fits you best ...

Gentle Mode: A certain amount of time after you stop writing, a box will pop up, gently reminding you to continue writing.
For wimps!

Normal Mode: If you persistently avoid writing, you will be played a most unpleasant sound. The sound will stop if and only if you continue to write.
That might just do the trick ... if my sound-card were working!

Kamikaze Mode: Keep Writing or Your Work Will Unwrite Itself
These consequences will persist until your preset conditions have been met (that is, your time is up or you’ve written you wordcount goal or both)
Now we're getting somewhere!!

If you ask me this is heaven sent. I mean I am fully aware that there are similar programs out there, but come on ... this is one of the cool ones!

Then of course it slowly dawned on me ... that's gotta be expensive! But nope, it's only $10,- for the Desktop Edition. Not bad. Especially when you think about all the bucks you'll make from selling your as of yet unfinished novel. Now there's a plan.

What do you think of this idea? Got other tips and tricks to share with a fellow procrastinator? Type away (and don't worry, commenting on this blog doesn't involve the Kamikaze mode ... for now).

1 comment:

  1. I might use one, since I can't find time to write any post for the blog because i am overloaded with school work and this month will continue so ...

    ReplyDelete