December 15, 2012

Pajama Musings - More things you didn't know about me ...

If you just look close enough you might notice that readers are more than those creatures hunched over a heavy tome casting evil glances when being approached by innocent bystanders who have obviously no idea that it's an absolute no-go to talk to the reader when they are engaged in a book. That said, people who interrupted me while reading have been known to get vaporized on sight (I knew that light saber would come in handy one day, but I digress).

The thing is, as much as we love to read, there is so much more about the reader. We ... uhm ... err ... do plenty of other stuff too. Sometimes. When we aren't rearranging book shelves or downloading new books onto our Kindle. Occasionally, though this is the exception, we've been caught ... wait for it ... eating or even sleeping. Imagine!?

Joking aside, I thought it was time to share a bit about what I like to do apart from sticking my nose into a book. Finding time for it all is often a bit of a problem, but then again, who needs to sleep anyway?
*drops head on desk*

So, what do I do when I'm not reading or writing or blogging?


Photography. This has been one of my hobbies for a long long time and I usually don't leave the house without my little Kodak EasyShare. Of course I am also the proud owner of a Nikon D3100 but sadly that baby is too heavy to get dragged along wherever I go. Either way, I love taking snap shots! Just not with my cell phone. That's just not classy, you now.

Traveling. Is it really fair to mention traveling after photography? Well, I certainly take more photos than vacations, ha. It's a long list of places I have been to, and yet there are still so many more places I want to travel to. Let's see, I've been to exotic locals such as Mauritius, I held a wombat in my arms in Australia, and I've ridden on a Russian train. But my favorite destinations are still the Land of the Free and the Home of Mr Bean.

Knitting. All right, this one's brand new. Amy, it's all your fault! Hated it back in school, and now I can't seem to stop. There is something wonderfully meditative and calming about it. Maybe that's a state of mind only adults but not kids can appreciate. Oh and if I continue producing scarfs (hey, I am a beginner, after all) at my current speed, my whole neighborhood will be wrapped up cozy this winter.

Pottery. I haven't been getting my hands dirty in a while now, but this is one of my favorite things to do when it comes to letting my creativity flow out of my fingers whilst not holding onto a pen. Damn it, now I wish I had signed up for another pottery class this year *big sigh*.

And now, my dear readers, how about yourself? What do you like to indulge in when you're not reading? Let me know!

7 comments:

  1. You already know that Madonna has been my obsession for the past 20 years, so when I am not reading, sleeping, grading or teaching I am watching/listening to anything Madonna :) Oh, and I love travelling, but who doesn't? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may come as a shock, but I do know people who don't like to travel! Unbelievable, I know.

      Delete
  2. P.S. How about offering scarves as giveaways? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm ... now there's an idea! Though I probably won't give them away in regular giveaways. We'll see. :-)

      Delete
  3. Not classy? I didn't know you were a photography snob, :). The best camera is always the one you have with you, so a phone is the best camera more often than not.
    My other hobby? Digiscrapping, of course - and that includes taking lots of pics naturally. I just use whatever I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am not ashamed to admit that I am a photography snob. Though, truth be told, I have taken pics with my cell phone *gasp* but only for the purpose of having a nice background pic on its screen.
      And you're right about the best camera being the one you've got in your bag, but I always carry my lil' Kodak with me, so ... :-)
      Say are you scrap-booking the old-fashioned way as well?

      Delete
  4. Too funny that I'm to blame for the knitting. Especially that I'm in a bit of a rut and haven't made any progress on that blanket I'm working on since July. I also laugh that everyone will have scarves- I've made blankets for everyone in my family. I need more family members. LOL!

    Reading competes with crafting, knitting, baking, scrapbooking, bird watching, traveling, shopping, and dabbling in photography for my hobby attention. Oh yes, and there are these two beagles...

    ReplyDelete