December 30, 2012

The Reading Files - Have a cozy new year!

And the year shall end with ... murder!

Agatha Raisin and the Perfect Paragon (M.C. Beaton)

Thoughts. Finding herself in the middle of a dreaded adultery case, Agatha is once again being her rude old self. While I wasn't too fond of her in another book in this series, oddly enough the interplay with the new hires in her detective agency made this mystery quite worthwhile for me.

Last lines. She opened the door and stared up at the tall figure standing there, smiling down at her. "Hullo, Agatha," said James Lacey.

Verdict. Solid little mystery with a bit of a cliffhanger!

Death of a Travelling Man (M.C. Beaton)

Thoughts. If there are two words to describe Hamish Macbeth then it would be charmingly unconventional. Granted, his methods (or his attitude in general) might not be for everyone, but I slowly seem to grow a liking for him. Unfortunately I found the mystery itself lacking.

Book quote. I'll hae the law on ye, ye randy! I'll hae yer life!
S.R. Crockett

Verdict. Light read adorned by everyone's favorite gruff (and lazy) constable!


Dead in the Water (Carole Dunn)

Thoughts. This has been the first book I've read in the series and I was instantly smitten by the historical setting and the main characters. Unfortunately the whole row-your-boat theme as such didn't do much for me, but nevertheless this was a lovely book that drew me right in.

Funny quote. "Oh, don't tell me you're just another of these bally would-be intellectual women, are you?"
"I'm a writer."
"Heaven help us! ..."
(p. 18)

Verdict. A delightful historical cozy that makes me want to read more in this series!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, that last one was ok, but all that upper class stuff got on my nerves. And Agatha Raisin, no, I definitely have enough of her. I will take a break from cozies and actually already ordered an Atkinson book, :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet reached the point where I feel like I've overdosed on cozy mysteries, still I plan to start with different genres into the new year, maybe do a little re-reading of favorites next week, and then back to all those non fiction books for review.

      Delete