December 16, 2012

The Reading Files - Of Earth and Nations

Some more non fiction before I'm going to treat myself to some good old-fashioned reading for fun over the Christmas holidays. Seeing how I kinda sorta "forgot" that I wanted to write two reviews of books I read the previous week, there will be a boat-load of reviews next Sunday. Hopefully. Ha.

Mankind Beyond Earth (Claude A. Piantadosi)

Thoughts. Traveling into outer space does not allow much leeway when it comes to errors. As much as the Moon was just a step away, Mars is a pretty big leap. And apparently we need to take that step again to make the leap. Highly engrossing and accessible even for those who aren't science nuts!

Conversation starter. Polar science is one of the grandparents of space exploration.

Verdict. Captivating tract on the importance of space exploration!

Smuggler Nation (Peter Andreas)

Thoughts. I've always been a sucker for reading about history from a different angle. Here the author presents US history as a "smuggling story". Sounded promising and I was not disappointed. Though I must admit there's been an awful lot of economy between those pages, so beware if that's something you're not too fond of.

Book recommendations. I Am the Market: How to Smuggle Cocaine by the Ton in Five Easy Lessons

Verdict. Fascinating account of how smuggling made a Nation!

No comments:

Post a Comment