January 13, 2013

The Reading Files - Let's get the non fiction party started!

I'm slowly getting back into my reading-groove or in other words, I've had enough of fiction on my plate lately, it's time to clear those non fiction books off the shelf. Hey you, back there stifling a yawn ... I saw that and I will hold it against you (unless you sign up for my This isn't Fiction Reading Challenge in the next two minutes, that is).

Moranthology (Caitlin Moran)

Thoughts. Wading through a mishmash of different topics, some more poignant than others, mostly funny and with a tendency of bordering on the vulgar, it was a bit of a let-down after her previous book How to Be a Woman which I very much enjoyed.

Quotable. A library in the middle of a community is a cross between an emergency exit, a life raft and a festival. (p. 211)

Verdict. A mildly entertaining anthology in typical Moran-style!

The Wisdom of Psychopaths (Kevin Dutton)

Thoughts. Your doctor may be one, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Surprisingly psychopaths have got quite a few good things going for them as this insightful and wonderfully entertaining tract (with a slightly adventurous streak as I'd like to add) proves.

Conversation starter. An estimated 1-2% of the population qualifies as psychopathic.

Verdict. An intriguing and captivating work about the psychopath's mind!

9 comments:

  1. I have the first book on my wishlist, but the second one pretty much scares me :)
    This challenge is going to be fun, I have already finished three non-fiction books, if "Black Milk" started last year counts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you say wishlist?
      *making a mental note about this*

      When exactly did you start "Black Milk" and how far were you by January 1st? If you only had to read the last three pages this year it'd be unfair to count it ... ;-)

      Delete
    2. I think there were more than 3 pages, but who's keeping track? :))

      Delete
  2. I've not yet read Moranthology, but a colleague has raved about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked her previous book a whole lot better, so if your colleague hasn't read "How to Be a Woman" yet she really should!!

      Delete
  3. The psychopaths book sounds interesting. Would be something for John, I am sure. He is into all that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. New to blogging so i am still figuring out how the system works...but i love non fiction and i just signed up so I read (within the challenge days of course) Trail of Crumbs by Kim Sunee-excellent book! Princess by Jean Sasson also excellent but heart wrenching at the same time...and now i am almost done with Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall another horrible eye opening story about how some women are still treated...Next on the list is a little more upbeat book called Not Quite Nirvana by Rachel Neumann (another blogger had recommended)! Can't wait to read something less traumatic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's always good to meet a fellow non fiction reader - there are too few of us, I'd say! Now off I go to check out the books you mentioned on Goodreads ...

      Delete