February 17, 2013

The Reading Files - Make that a Double Espresso!

Taking a bit of a break from my Stephen King tome I decided to go for some cozy mysteries this week. I've already read a handful of books from the Coffeehouse Mysteries last year, but had a few more lined up too. Being ever the unconventional reader I apparently have a knack for reading the books in a bit of a weird order, then again I enjoy this series so much I had to read the earlier novels too.

On What Grounds (Cleo Coyle)

Thoughts. What first looks like a horrible accident is anything but. A solid mystery with lots of coffee talk. Suffice to say it's wonderful to being formally introduced to all the Village Blend characters which I've already come to love from more recent books in the series.

Opening line of first chapter. The perfect cup of coffee is a mystifying thing.

Verdict. Promising first in a series which gets better with every book!

Through the Grinder (Cleo Coyle)

Thoughts. Dating can be deathly and even worse, all evidence points to Clare's new beau. While the first book was still a bit rough around the edges, this one flows like creamy espresso into a cup. Fun. Well written. Great chemistry. And it really grabbed me emotionally too.

Random quote. Death isn't something a person should face without a fortifying hit of caffeine. 
(p. 16)

Verdict. Gripping second book in one of my fav cozy mystery series!

Espresso Shot (Cleo Coyle)

Thoughts. It's not easy getting married when someone tries to kill you. Fast forward to the seventh book in the series and a mystery after my own heart with lots of twists and great character development. One of these days I really must try out the recipes in the appendix too!

Book quote. Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, sweet as love. Turkish proverb

Verdict. Like always a highly enjoyable blend of caffeinated murder!

5 comments:

  1. I really like the look of Expresso Shot for some reason, Birgit! Glad you are taking a break from Stephen King. Sometimes he can be too much... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I have the first book in this series on my wishlist. Hope to get around to getting a copy some day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun series, I will have to look for the first book. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exсellеnt ѕіte yоu have here. Ιt's hard to find quality writing like yours these days. I really appreciate your reviews, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listened to an audio in this series a couple of months ago and found it a lot of fun. I'm glad you are enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete