February 3, 2013

THIS ISN'T FICTION Reading Challenge


Welcome to the first update post to the challenge! Today I shall not scold anyone (yet) for not getting started on their reading, after all it's still early in the year so a little warming up to the whole idea of reading something that isn't fiction is allowed. However, by July I am going to morph into a mean challenge hosting machine who will not listen to any excuses along the lines of "My dog ate my non fiction book!".

To avoid that the dog (or cat or pet spider) gets all the blame I am going to try myself on the good old carrot-method first. Carrot? Why yes, of course. You know the carrot on the stick which makes the donkey move its ass? Well, by the end of the year there's going to be a giveaway and you will only be allowed to enter if you participated in the challenge. Emphasis on successfully.

All right, now it's time to share how far I have come in the challenge. I signed up for the highest level which means I plan to read 20 or more books. In January I managed to read six non fiction books already. Yay me!

Moranthology (Caitlin Moran)
The Wisdom of Psychopaths (Kevin Dutton)
100 Places You Will Never Visit (Daniel Smith)
A Curious Invitation (Suzette Field)
Can We Travel Through Time? (Michael Brooks)
Paranormality (Richard Wiseman)

Now, please don't let the amount of books I've  read discourage you. I am obviously addicted to non fiction so this isn't exactly out of the ordinary. And if any of you read as much as I have I will be officially impressed! In fact, if you've read at least one book so far I'm going to be one proud challenge host!

Before I let you loose on the comment section I want to remind anyone whose curiosity just got aroused by this post, that you may still sign up for the challenge and get acquainted with the general rules over HERE.

Updates for the challenge will be posted regularly on Sundays near the end/beginning of a month and the next dates will thus be March 3rd, March 31st, April 28th, June 2nd, and June 30th.

Now it's time for you to share what you've read so far or which book(s) you are planning to read for the challenge! Don't be shy and comment away!

7 comments:

  1. I managed to read two books in January, without counting the one I started last year, so that's quite ok for me, and I am in the middle of a non-fiction book about Venice, so yaaay, two birds with one stone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, that's not bad! And isn't it nice when books count toward more than one challenge?

      Delete
  2. Being Jordan by Katie Price (still working on this one)
    Merles Door by Ted Kerasote
    Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
    Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert
    Not Quite Nirvana by Rachel Neuman
    Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very impressive (and long) list there! I can already see you'll finish the challenge by summer! :-D

      Delete
  3. I've read one book - Wild Swans:Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. this also counts for the Tea & book Challenge as it has 720 pages! I haven't decided which of my many non-fiction books to read next.

    Your new theme is great - much easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In January I read "Driven to Distraction" by Edward Hallowell, and "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" by Harriet Jacobs.

    This month, I've finished "Dust Tracks on the Road" by Zora Neale Hurston, and am working on "Assata" by Assata Shakur. I'm getting into autobiographies, as you see! *laughs*

    I did a brief write up on Hurston's book:
    http://pasoubliette.blogspot.com/2013/02/some-thoughts-hurston.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 down!

    http://darlenesbooknook.blogspot.ca/2013/02/book-review-freedom-train-story-of.html

    ReplyDelete