March 3, 2013

TEA & BOOKS Reading Challenge


Tea mug at the ready. Tome in your lap. That's what I want to hear from everyone today! But first, welcome to yet another update of the dreaded challenge that involves hauling heavy books and guzzling copious amounts of a certain hot beverage.

Dreaded? You read that right. I endured a lengthy trip through the wordily world of Mr Stephen King. It  involved a clown. I hate clowns. So, maybe me and Stephen haven't been off to a good start in the first place, but then again it's one of my closest friends' favorite books and it's got almost 1.400 pages which kills two birds with one stone (translation: books of more than 1.200 pages qualify for two books). Come to think of it, I'm not too fond of birds either. But I digress.

The good news is that apart from the struggle, I managed to finish It (Stephen King) this week. While I usually only ever read a book at a time I made an exception for this one, and to be honest, this was a life-saving decision, because the book awfully dragged. So a few other books thrown in were the kind of distraction I very much appreciated.

The book itself. Well, I only ever finished it for the sake of this challenge, sad as this might be. Normally I love detailed descriptions that pull you right in, but this was way too much for my taste. Besides, there is amazingly little happening for a book this size, the horror is anything but horrific, and the only thing I did like was the friendship between the kids. Then came the damper of what I can only describe as highly inappropriate scene in the sewers *spoiler: a 11 years old girl persuading the boys in their circle of friends to have sex as some kind of bonding ritual, and yes, they go at it one after the other* which is apparently trying to convey the passage of childhood to adulthood, but certainly rubbed me the wrong way. Suffice to say - this book was not for me!

Next book? So far I'm not sure which tome to pick up next. After all this one put me right on the first level of the challenge and I only signed up for the second level with four books this year. In my defense, I figured I'd start lower as I can still upgrade somewhere along the way.

You probably know what this means. Once I upgrade I'm going to nag so everyone else does the same, hahaha!

Finally another reminder that you may still sign up for the challenge and get acquainted with the general rules over HERE.

Updates for the challenge will be posted regularly on Sundays near the end/beginning of a month and the next dates will thus be March 31st, April 28th, June 2nd, and June 30th.

What tomes have you been reading? Which tea have you been drinking? Please share.

24 comments:

  1. I've read Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna - my review is here, which means I'm halfway to the Berry Tea Devotee level! The Lacuna is 670 pages, thanks for reducing the number of pages needed! It was a bit of a slog, good in parts, slow in others.

    I don't think I'll try 'It' - it does sound hard work.

    The tea I've been drinking is rooibosch, Eleven O'Clock Tea, which is what I drink the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that reducing pages would come in handy for all of us - including myself! :-) You choice of tea sounds interesting; btw I've been drinking a lot of Jasmine tea lately.

      P.S.: As far as my own tome goes, I would not recommend "IT" either.

      Delete
  2. I'm a little over 100 pages away from finishing my first book for the challenge. I'm reading Game of Thrones and while I am thoroughly enjoying it, I'm not finding an urgency to read on and finish. I'm thinking that is because I have already watched the HBO series so there are no surprises for me. :(

    I was planning on reading the entire series but am thinking I might skip book 2 (since I've already "seen" it on tv) and just start book 3 which will hold surprises.

    I do have to say that I am happy you started this series as it is giving me a little nudge towards looking at thicker novels. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you made it this far you seriously shouldn't give up. That's what I told myself after fighting through that Stephen King tome and look, I did it, yay!

      Trust me, I also need my own challenge to get the motivation to pick up some of those heavy volumes! :-)

      Delete
  3. Oops, by "series', I meant "challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just joined. The names of the levels nudged me up to 6 books, and I'm sure I own that many that qualify, I just have to get to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone who appreciates a nice hot cup of Earl Grey ... you're a tea drinker after my own heart!

      Delete
  5. I must say I felt the same way about that certain scene in IT.

    I have read Anna Karenina, but I haven't started on another book for this challange yet. I will!!

    kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say no Stephen King for me for the time being. And I haven't started on my next book yet either. Seeing how it is only early March that's ok though.

      Delete
  6. I hate IT... it gave me a scare of clowns.

    I managed to read my second book for this challenge. I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix which counts 668 pages in the dutch version.
    4 more to go this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After fighting myself through that Stephen King chunkster I will seriously need to reconsider the genres I pick in this challenge, hahaha!

      It's awesome that you read a book in your mother language. I have several tomes in German just waiting to be read, so I might pick the next one from that stack too. Besides, German translations are always longer than English versions, which kind of helps with this particular challenge. ;-)

      Delete
  7. I just finished "Mrs A" by Richard Stoddard Aldrich who wrote the biography of Mrs A/Gertrude Lawrence @414 pages written in 1954.

    Almost finished with "The Truman Merry-go-round" by Robert S Allen and William V Shannon @484 pages written in 1950.

    I am hoping to start this week on "Aphrodite" by Isabel Allende @316 pages. This is a book interspersed with Food for the Senses recipes... This was written in 1999.

    I have just started to go through my stack of unfinished or not read books and only in the "A" authors. I can see this will be a long long time of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great reading, Karen! At first I was a bit confused about the length of all your books then I realized you accidentally commented on the wrong challenge post as they all belong to the non-fiction reading challenge! :-)

      P.S.: And to think you're still at the letter "A"! There's quite a few more books ahead of you!!

      Delete
  8. I've read The Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens (http://irrelevant-scribble.blogspot.co.at/2013/03/the-old-curiosity-shop-by-charles.html) and it was a looong one, not only because of the page count, but also because it's Dickens. Now I've started Middlemarch, which is 900 pages, and I hope to finish it in March. And I've been drinking only tea in February, as I got really tired of coffee. So far, a very suitable challenge for me =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just reminded me that I want to read some Dickens myself though maybe I'll start small with, say, A Christmas Carol!
      Here's to another month of tomes and tea!

      Delete
  9. I've never read Stephen King and have little desire to do so. The book definitely sounds like a trek and I'm impressed you made it through.

    Enjoy your March hiatus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A trek indeed! I guess perseverance is one of my better qualities, because I have no idea how I managed to go through with that book either. Not much comfort either that the friend who recommended the book to me was devastated that I did not like it. Only goes to show how different tastes can be!

      Delete
  10. I finished Les Miserables and that's it - which is enough in itself, but I just feel like I haven't read much so far this year. It's that damn uni.

    And I read IT as a tween Stephen King fan and loved it. It *zing* scared the crap out of me. And then I remember watching the TV-series and that also scared the crap out of me. I was a strange child...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on finishing "Les Miserables" - that's quite an impressive tome!

      BTW I never saw the TV series of "IT" which is weird as I totally loved horror as a teen. And heck, weren't we all strange when we were younger (at least it seems that way when we're adults).

      Delete
  11. I read It last year - didn't really like it - it was interesting at some points. but mostly not. I guess I just don't like King's style.
    But last month I finished The War of the flowers by Tad Williams. The reanslated edition is 758 pages but it was a quick read as I really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tad Williams book sounds like something I'd enjoy too! But maybe (just maybe) I should first diminish the gigantic TBR piles I still have *sigh*.

      Delete
    2. Lol, good thing it was already on my TBR pile for some months. Here's my review on it :)
      http://topchochanbooks.blogspot.com/2013/03/book-review-war-of-flowers.html

      Delete
  12. I am working through The Pickwick Papers and Les Miserables but haven't finished any really long books yet this year - to be fair, I only discovered your challenge a few weeks ago, but I couldn't resist joining in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what they say - better late than never! Besides, having started on two tomes already is fantastic and I bet quite a few participants haven't even got started on their first book, so ...

      Delete