March 31, 2013

TEA & BOOKS Reading Challenge


Welcome to another update in the challenge of heavy tomes and heavy mugs! Seeing how spring hasn't exactly arrived where I live, the tea in that mug is still of the hot variety. Maybe next time I have already resorted to iced tea, but for now it's still let's-read-next-to-the-fire-place weather which obviously goes hand in hand with hot beverage choices.

This month I focused on my other reading challenge, the one with all that isn't fiction, so I did not get any reading done for this one. To be perfectly honest, I don't really know which tome to pick up next. Not as though I'd be running out of heavy books, not to worry. As I'm currently suffering through a bit of a reading slump, and haven't touched a book in two weeks *gasp* I will take the whole reading thing day by day. If I should end up feeling like picking up one of the bigger books in April, that's good, but don't count on it.

On a more positive note - I have already reached the first level in this challenge with It (Stephen King) which I finished in February. I milked the 1.200+ pages rule (those will count as two books) for all it's worth with that tome, that's for sure.

This brings me to needing to read two more tomes (or one super-tome) to reach my chosen level. Nine months to go, how hard can that be? No need to answer that.

Even though we're well into the year you may still sign up for the challenge and get acquainted with the general rules over HERE. In case you already read a tome that qualifies for this challenge during the first three month of 2013, that book will of course count towards your chosen level.

Updates for the challenge will be posted regularly on Sundays near the end/beginning of a month and the next dates will thus be April 28th, June 2nd, and June 30th.

Have you been reading a tome this month or did you take a break like I did? And as always,. what kind of tea (or other hot beverage) did you enjoy with it? Comment away.

8 comments:

  1. Hi! I've already read 4 books for the challenge, which means I have only 4 more to go! I love this challenge and I love thick books. My latest chunkster is A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (http://irrelevant-scribble.blogspot.cz/2013/03/a-storm-of-swords-by-george-r-r-martin.html) which is 1074 pages long, but doesn't feel like it at all, because it's very gripping! It is still snowing frequently here, so our spring is not quite here too. Thanks god central heating is still on and I have a lot of red tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a break too - but still drinking redbush tea. I'm on target with this challenge as I've read 2 which means 2 more and I've met my target. I'm hoping to read more though by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally finished my first book for the challenge. Ha, I knew you'd be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No add on on my two books this month. I do have some serious ones coming up though but not sure if I make them in April. Good luck to all the other participants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to get back to reading as I haven't touched a book all week. Thanks to you, I am reading again. So far I have read 1,612 pages out of five books. I am trying to complete "Coming Apart" by Charles Murry which is a new non-fiction. It is 388 pages and I am down 177. I will have to finish it this week as it goes back to the Library with new renewals. It is heavy textbook reading so going slowly. Hopefully, next week, I will get back to reading "Royal Family, Years of Transition" by Theo Aronson. This is much easier reading. Anyway I am getting slowly through my collection of books but still in the "A" authors names. Will I ever finish them all before I die??? Yumm, I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Somehow I've managed to read 2 books. Only one is on my list, the other is a bonus book. I'm in the process of reading my next one and it'll count as two books as it's really long.

    Hope everyone else is having a good reading year so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have managed to read two books for this challenge. Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang in January and The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson in March. Just 2 more books to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am half-way to my (not very ambitious) goal of 2 chunksters for the year. I finished The Woman in White (which was excellent!) by Wilkie Collins. My tea of choice is Earl Grey. I haven't decided what to read next for this challenge, but hope that a long book falls into my path in the next couple months.

    ReplyDelete