March 3, 2013

The Reading Files - 1.376

Finally. Is all I'm saying.

It (Stephen King)

Thoughts. A murderous clown. A band of friends. A promise. Sounded great yet thoroughly disappointed. I usually love descriptive narratives, but this one is verbose to a fault. So many words, so little happening. Dragging dragging dragging. And the end just plain sucks.

First line. The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years - if it ever did end - began, so far as I know or can tell, with a boat made from a sheet of newspaper floating down a gutter swollen with rain.

Verdict. Overrated so-called masterpiece!

Zombie Blondes (Brian James)

Thoughts. All those cheerleaders are nothing but pretty zombies, who knew? Could have been a light YA read, but had less substance than candyfloss. In fact reading felt as if the sugar had reached that sensitive molar in the back. Braved four chapters before giving up.

First words spokenYou're gonna like this place ... you really are.

Verdict. One-dimensional teen-zombie flick!

Evernight (Claudia Grey)

Thoughts. Not easy fitting in at the new school. Even worse when you're a vampire which, as I'd like to point out, readers only find out half way through the book. Take the usual vampire-story cliches, topped by a stuck-in-the-past vibe, and you've got a light and undemanding read.

Last lines. I folded the card against my chest. I'd burn it in a few minutes - but not yet, not just yet. 

Verdict. Brain candy with fangs!

1 comment:

  1. Zombie Blondes got me excited until you said you couldn't manage more than 4 chapters ;))) Uh no, I'll pass it too. Well done on getting through Evernight, Birgit. I couldn't even do that...

    ReplyDelete