May 3, 2013

Non-Fiction Discoveries

Welcome to the first edition of Non-Fiction Discoveries! Even if you're more of a fiction kind of reader you might want to dip into history with my weekly suggestions ...

So you love all those paranormal novels? Why not do a little background reading on what it was really like being a witch in the not-so-good old days.

America Bewitched: The Story of Witchcraft After Salem (Owen Davies)
Publ. March 22nd 2013 - HC
Oxford University Press

Neighbours. Just look out the window or walk down the street for your very own real-life soap-opera. Darn it, one such series was even titled Neighbours!

Cheek by Jowl: A History of Neighbours (Emily Cockayne)
Publ. May 28th 2013 - PB
Vintage Books

Not another mummy tome *chuckles about a joke that actually isn't all that funny and/or unique*. As many documentaries as I've watched I never read anything about good ol' Tut, so why not start now?

The Shadow King: The Bizarre Afterlife of King Tut's Mummy (Jo Marchant)
Publ. June 4th 2013 - HC
Da Capo Press

4 comments:

  1. Oh! I might have to check out The Shadow King. I just finished Loot by Sharon Waxman about antiquities and where they're from and repatriation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looked up "Loot" on Goodreads and it sounds right up my alley too!

      Delete
  2. I think I'll have to put "Cheek by Jowl" on my list. I love this new category. It'll be my ruin lol :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I love discovering new non-fiction books so I figured this would be a great idea for a weekly blog post!

      Delete