May 6, 2013

The Curious Reader - Have you set foot onto Bloglovin' yet?

Apropos of the recent Google-Reader-be-gone uproar that consequently made pretty much everyone move to Bloglovin', whose team probably didn't knew what hit them and who dealt with it spectacularly well, I thought I'd pop the question ...

Have you set foot onto Bloglovin' yet?

Source
Seeing how pretty much everyone seems to migrate to Bloglovin' these days I wonder is there anyone who didn't get caught in the stampede and made it safely to other feed-reading shores? I bet there must be a few folks out there who didn't tumble into a full-fledged panic. I would hope.

As to myself I must admit, I don't care much about the loss of Google Reader as I never used it. Of course, the more important question from my perspective must be - will something similar happen to the blog feed I get on my Blogger Dashboard? I haven't been able to find any information on that and equally I haven't heard more than rumors about Google Friend Connect most likely being laid to rest as well. Apparently it's one step at a time for the Google folk.

I'm with Frankieboy. I do it my way.

As you might have noticed I offer a variety of means to follow my blog and in my opinion that should make everyone happy. I know that some bloggers prefer their readers following them in a certain way which makes only sense when you're totally caught up in the numbers-game aka I-like-big-follower-numbers-and-I-cannot-lie. Personally I don't see the big difference (apparently I am over the whole counting heads thing) as long as people are actually reading my blog posts. So, my suggestion for today is, just do it your way.

What does rub me the wrong way, a bit anyway, is how everyone (all right, not each and every single blogger, but most of them for sure) used to push readers into following through GFC and now many a blogger wants you to follow them through Bloglovin'. I'm mostly talking from the perspective of a compulsive giveaway junkie which might be slightly off-topic, but still. I mean, why not let your readers decide how they want to keep up to date with your ramblings? I say, let them do it their way.

Bloglovin' is kinda neat though.

When I first signed up on Bloglovin' I did so, because I wanted to offer an additional option for people to follow my blog. While I did subscribe to a select few blogs through Bloglovin' too it was more because I wanted to get a feel for it than possibly maybe transferring all the blogs I follow to a new home. The convenience of having the whole feed in front of my nose when I get into my Blogger account just can't be beat.

Fast-forward to the present. Dozens of frantic blog posts later (luckily not mine, ha) I figured it wouldn't hurt to export my blog list over to Bloglovin' either. I realized that the site had implemented quite a few new features which make both the transition and just basically the general use of it as smooth as smooth can be. Plus, the surface is easy on the eyes too. Three weeks, five days, and seventeen seconds later, I'm not ashamed to say that I've become a total Bloglovin' convert now.

Way to go, Bloglovin'!

What's your opinion on the whole Google Reader drama?
As a blogger - are you offering Bloglovin' as an alternative? Are you even using it yourself as your feed reader of choice?
As a reader - what's your preferred method to follow blogs? Have you tried out Bloglovin' yet and if so, how do you like it?

13 comments:

  1. I had no idea about this service, but it seems quite nice, thanks for sharing, I just created my account :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i follow you there since i've imported all my suscribtion , i guess i did panik a little because ijust started to get used to something and goggle delete it or plan too.. i regret they don't give more and better info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Google is giving out information very sparingly which only adds to the general confusion. Anyway, I'm happy with Bloglovin now, so no further complaints.

      Delete
  3. I was gutted when they closed Google Reader, I've been using it for over 5 years, probably closer to 10. I ended up going with Feedly because I could set it up in the same way. Bloglovin just didn't seem intuitive when I went to it the first time so I just passed on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get used to something it stinks when you know it won't be available anymore - I'm the same in that regard. BTW I heard a lot of good things about Feedly too, but haven't looked into it yet.

      Delete
  4. I was never a Bloglovin fan, but after I had to switch to somewhere and wasn't too fussed on Feedly I am now a Bloglovin convert. Especially the new Beat version is great. BL is so easy to use, I just LOVE it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the beginning Bloglovin wasn't all that impressive, but they really made something out of themselves during the whole Google Reader fiasco - thriving on someone else's demise, you could say!

      P.S.: What's the Beat version of Bloglovin? *scratches head in wonder*

      Delete
    2. That was supposed to be Beta, not Beat, :).

      Delete
  5. Hi Birgit! I moved to bloglovin too and I see that you followed me there :-) I follow both of your blogs there as well. All the blogs I follow, I use there "follow privately" so my name doesn't show up anyone's list of followers which makes for a drama free experience. I also like that I can have the list of everyone's new posts sent to my email so I don't miss a thing during the day. Since I changed my blog name and URL after I had moved to bloglovin, they made the change very easy and the customer service help has been excellent. I don't use the follow icon with all the people on my blog anymore or the blog roll so people don't see who I follow etc...I do have the bloglovin follow button all the way at the bottom so if someone wants to they can. All in all I like bloglovin. Have a great day, hugs Jennifer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like Bloglovin! They have some wonderful features indeed and I agree it makes for a drama free experience which you had too much of anyway in the past. Have a lovely day, my dear!

      Delete
  6. When I found out GFC was going I removed the widget from my blog and transferred everything over to Bloglovin'. I ask my followers to follow me there now just because it's so much easier, and to be honest, I don't think asking someone to follow on Bloglovin' is a numbers game because it doesn't even show up on your newsfeed, you have to go to the "my blog" tab and I rarely do that, and it's kind of refreshing to not have to see those numbers every time I wanted to check my blog design and whatnot. I'm a total Bloglovin' convert now too and overall just think it's SO much easier, so now I'm not as gutted as I was when I first found out GFC was most likely going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't removed the GFC widget (yet) but will probably do so when it's really "over" in July. Either way, I am all for letting blog readers decide which way to follow, though if I had to suggest a certain way it'd be Bloglovin, because it's - to me at least - the best option right now.

      Delete