May 27, 2013

The Curious Reader - How long can you go without picking up a book?

Let's spill the ugly truth about our addiction ...

How long can you go without picking up a book?

Source
All right, maybe I should phrase this a bit more precisely. After all, some might pick up a book to dust it off or maybe to simply rearrange those towering book stacks. What I'm actually referring to is the amount of time passing between reading and reading again.

I know that being a book blogger usually translates into rather short breaks in between reading. Not being a book blogger can sometimes mean not picking up a book for, dare I even think it, years. Sadly I do know people like that and it is beyond me how someone could not want to read at all, but let's not digress.

Hours. Days. Weeks. Gasp.

Looking back on the past year I'd say I am someone who pretty much reads every day. I sometimes manage to plow through a whole (short) book in just one day while at other times I only read a chapter, all depending on how much time I have at hand. The point being, I rarely take a break from reading. If I do it's usually not more than a day or two at the most. Now if that gives you the impression that I couldn't quit this habit even if I tried you'd be damn' right. Still, I don't get jittery and cranky when time doesn't allow me to gobble up a few pages. Not much anyway.

Interestingly I rarely fall into a reading slump. Granted, sometimes I have a hard time making up my mind about which book to read next, consequently sorting through my book stacks and going to bed without having read more than the cover blurbs, but luckily that's not all that often the case. Overall I do get my daily reading fix and all is well in book-land.

Imagine a year without reading.

A scary thought there. Not to read for a certain amount of time, maybe even a full year? The horror! Real life dystopia is all I'm saying! But still, why not think about this notion for a moment. Don't we all experience times when we do not read for a prolonged amount of time? Maybe because we're ill or on vacation or [fill in any other obscure reason for not picking up a book]?

As for myself, I usually don't take books with me when I'm travelling. To much fun to be had when I'm out and about in far away places. Yet I know that many pack more books than swimsuits, so obviously everyone's different there. Of course my vacations are rarely longer than two weeks, so the interesting question would be - how many weeks could I go without feasting my eyes on pretty words on white pages? Honestly, I don't know and I don't intend to find out. After all, you will eat when you're hungry.

I read when my mind gets thirsty. 

How long can you go without reading? Are you reading on a daily basis or just when the reading-bug bites you? Could you imagine not to read for a full year? 

28 comments:

  1. I can barely make 24 hours without craving a fix. Any lull sees me reach for a book, and if there isn't a book around a cereal box, decades old magazine or a phone book will do LOL

    Shelleyrae @ Bookd.out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a true book addict speaking *lol*.

      Delete
  2. I used to have periods. Sometimes I would read 5 books in a week and after not for 5 weeks. Since I have started with my blog and keeping track of it I do not have big gaps anymore. The most now is a day or 2 after a book really impressed me or if I am really busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds a lot like myself pre and post blogging, because I now read a whole lot more and the breaks in between books are usually super short while some years ago I'd sometimes not read for a few weeks before falling into a reading frenzy again.

      Delete
  3. I read every day. Very rarely, usually when we are on vacation or have family visiting, a day will go by without me picking up my current book. However, usually I will find time to at least read a few pages. Otherwise I just don't feel right, like something is missing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's got to be enough to read only a few pages, I know. Oddly enough, I never really seem to miss reading when on vacation as I'm not one for sitting still when I travel.

      Delete
  4. It's usually only a day or two... three at most... but on the odd occassion it'll be a week. I can't imagine going much longer than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, though I went on a reading hiatus this spring with two weeks of no reading *gasp* but somehow I needed that unusual downtime.

      Delete
  5. A year without books, true horror! I read every day, even if it is just one or two pages.(it all depends on the time I have). And I do bring books with me on holiday, I need to do something in my hotelroom, and on the plane! But is all depends on the kind of holiday you are having, perhaps.

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, a full year that's a nightmare! And you're right, it does depend on the kind of vacation you go on - when I'm out and about exploring all day I just fall into bed at night, no reading; if I spend a few relaxing days at a spa on the other hand, I always have a book with me.

      Delete
  6. Have to read everyday! Even on tours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're one dedicated reader - I like that!

      Delete
  7. I read every day. If it isn't a blog on the Internet than I am grabbing a chapter of whatever book I am trying to get through before off to more mundane chores. My problem is getting rid of the book after I have finished it. I have sort of solved that problem by taking them back to the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't thought about counting blog posts toward the "reading", then again, reading is reading! Getting rid of books sounds as if you abandon a puppy at the side of a road somewhere ;-) though a library sounds like a good place for any puppy, errr, book!

      Delete
  8. 24 hours is my max - and I get itchy the closer to that mark it becomes. I can't imagine a day with not reading, never mind a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess for true bookaholics it's harder to stay away from books than, say, chocolate. Of course, books are a good kind of addiction to have!

      Delete
  9. I read on a daily base. I can't imagine my life without reading *shivers* That would be a nightmare! There are enough other things I like to do, but if I haven't read for a day I get withdrawal symptoms :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A life without reading!? You're giving me nightmares!! Well, sometimes I do skip a day, but I will be back the next day and read even more! :-)

      Delete
  10. A week at most and only if i'm really too ill to keep my eyes open ( sadly it happened a little to much to my tastte this year)

    the longest i stopped reading... i gues a little more than a year but it wasz long ago, a teacher really disgusted me of reading after choosing only depressing and really sad book as mandatory reads...
    it took me a moùent to dare to open a book again, to remember that i had author i loved that was waiting for me to continue their series.... that woman nearly destroyed me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens so very often that teachers spoil the joy that reading can bring. We had to read a lot of books in school that would have turned me off reading too if I hadn't been a bookworm already. So basically, I read for school AND I read books I picked myself. I still feel that many mandatory reads in school simply aren't for children/teenagers, I mean, those books might be great and you will actually grasp their meaning when you're older, but in most cases, while at school, they will bore you to death.

      Delete
  11. For the past year and a half or so, I think I've probably read every day! If I'm not carrying a 'real' book around, I also have a book I'm reading on my Kindle app and will read in the car while waiting for my daughter or whatever. I can't imagine not reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not taking a book with me these days, but I used to do that while at university. I'd sit in a nearby park and read in between lectures. Of course the Kindle makes it easier again today, especially when you're currently reading a big tome that's heavier than a brick.

      Delete
  12. I could never imagine not reading for a whole year. I always tell my grandparents that in case of a fire, I want them out first, then the cats, and then as much books as I can save with me.

    My reading happens in sporadic moments. Sometimes I won't be able to put my kindle or however much books I can get my hands on for days. Then I may go a couple weeks without reading a book. I can never stay away for too long though. Reading is almost a lifestyle for me and it's hard to understand how my boyfriend doesn't like reading. Just like he can't understand how I love reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So basically, your grandma grabs the cats and your grandpa your books - good plan! But let's hope no fire breaks out in the first place!
      I am having a hard time figuring out why some people don't like to read, too. Of course, if you look at it like a hobby, and not a way of life, someone else might think it's strange why you don't do any sports.

      Delete
  13. When I finished college (eep- 15 years ago), I was so burnt out that I did not read for pleasure for I'm thinking at least a year, maybe a little more. I still had my books, I just didn't read them. Once I snapped out of that- I go in spurts. Right now, I've been reading almost daily for a couple of months. But there will come a point when I don't feel like reading and the book will sit on the coffee table for sometimes a couple of months until I'm ready to devour it again. I guess, for me, it's just like all my other hobbies- sometimes I need a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't remember any really big breaks from reading, not even after I had my degree. I simply shifted to reading for Uni to reading for fun, but I will admit that I never read nearly as much as I am now that I have my book blog.

      Delete
  14. I love reading and read any day that's not absolutely packed with other things. While I was working on my undergrad degree I had some long breaks from reading for fun, maybe on the order of weeks, but I can't imagine going without reading for a while year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back at Uni I don't think I ever stopped reading for fun, just less because of books for my studies. Bottom line is I couldn't imagine long breaks from reading either, not to mention a whole year. The thought alone scares me!

      Delete