May 20, 2013

The Curious Reader - Who's your favorite indie author?

It's time for naming names. Not the big ones (think Stephen King) but the shining ones (think your fav independent author) ...

Who's your favorite indie author?

Source
Now before you start groaning, because you see no way of naming just one, let's focus on the first independently aka self-published books you ever read. The ones that wet your appetite for more indie fare. We'll start from there. Hey, that rhymed!

Let's face it, many years ago there was this huge prejudice connected with any book that hasn't received a stamp of approval by being printed in one of the many "regular" publishing houses. Fortunately those times are long gone and I'm probably not the only one who occasionally finds herself in an eye-rolling frenzy upon reading crappy yet traditionally published books while at the same time utterly excited about a novel by an indie author. Now that we've established that it's not a bad sign anymore when authors go indie instead of signing up with a big publisher, let's get back to topic.

It all started with a vegetarian werewolf for me.

The thing with indie publications is that most of them only go the digital route (in the meantime, many authors will also offer their books in physical form though) so until I was the proud owner of my first eReader I never actually read any indie books. Oddly enough I managed to win one such book in physical form about, I'd say, two years ago.

The book? Six Moon Summer by S.M. Reine not only re-introduced me to the paranormal genre (which I loved as a teenager, but hadn't read for literally decades after). I loved especially how the whole werewolf aspect had been woven into the story. Not just the typical getting bitten and howling at the full moon thing, the reader experiences how Rylie's going through the hairy motions and that's what really gripped me. Needless to say, once I was hooked I watched out for the sequels like a hawk (and read them all, obviously).

People are predictable. That’s what makes them easy to kill.

Of course that wasn't were my indie encounters ended. Through one of the LibraryThing giveaways I happened to come across another author (see, I can't name just one either) which more than just caught my attention with his knack for blood-curling horror stories.

The book? Deadfall by Shaun Jeffrey which is a zombie-infested blood fest that makes you feel like being pulled in the middle of an action movie. I swear, all of this author's books have this high movie potential, not just the horror ones, maybe especially his creepy thrillers like The Kult. It goes without saying that none of his books are for the faint of heart, but who wants to die of bordeom while reading anyway?

Now let's get your indie reads on!

Which author(s) introduced you to indie publications? Have you by any chance read one of S.M. Reine's or Shaun Jeffrey's books? Or maybe you're not all that fond of indie authors? If so, what keeps you from reading them?

4 comments:

  1. Probably Joeseph D'leacy. Though I don't know if he is considered "Inie"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up that author and I think he qualifies as indie author! Apparently I haven't read any books by him though or I would have known that! ;-)

      Delete
  2. My favorite indie book so far is After the Ending by two friends both names Lindsey :) http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16075905-after-the-ending I'd definitely like to read more indie books in the future though, as my exposure is fairly limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh ... dystopia! I do like the blurb of this book, plus the fact that it's not YA (not to say I dislike YA; but I don't mind more adult novels in that genre). Like yourself, I'm really not that up-to-date with the indie author scene, so it's always nice to get pointers to interesting books.

      Delete