May 5, 2013

The Reading Files - Getting my YA reads on!

Time to put those non fiction tomes aside and tickle my inner teenager a bit ... sadly my inner teenager was not amused by my choice of books. *sigh*

Passing Strange (Daniel Waters)

Thoughts. Life isn't as fun when you're already dead, yet if you manage to "pass" as a living human life's not so bad, or is it? Promising zombie concept with a relatable heroine yet otherwise I found the story lacking in depth. Neat ending though!

First lines. I don't want to die, I thought. Not again.

Verdict. A different kind of zombie tale with all too flat (and dead) characters!

The Secret Hour (Scott Westerfeld)

Thoughts. Imagine there was a 25th hour and only you could experience this time, along with all the monsters living in it. Fascinating idea, yet a terribly dull read which, probably due to it being the first book in a series, only introduces characters, nothing more.

Last words spoken. It was nothing, Rex. Probably just some kid's nightmare.

Verdict. Intriguing just like Uglies, yet just as underwhelming!

Shiver (Maggie Stiefvater)

Thoughts. Girl obsessed with wolves one of which turns out to be a boy. I haven't read the Twilight books but I dare say this is the strictly werewolfy version of it. Maybe some vampires would have actually helped the plot. Apart from a select few lovely sentences the narration ... *snore*

Random quote. As the hours crept by, the afternoon sunlight bleached all the books on the shelves to pale, gilded versions of themselves and warmed the paper and ink inside the covers so that the smell of unread words hung in the air.
(p. 8)

Verdict. Boring paranormal love-story with werewolf angle!

7 comments:

  1. I think Maggie Stiefvater writes about nature beautifully and I loved how the temperature was a constant reminder of how things were. I read it as an analogy for preparing for a loved one to die and loved it but it's not for everyone. She is certainly a better writer than Meyer though.

    I have been reading a lot of YA as of late but I think I've had better luck (or lower expectations).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often the narration itself would surprise me with, like I mentioned, lovely sentences/descriptions, but other than that I simply could not connect to the story and characters. Well, not every book can be appreciated by every reader, right?

      Delete
  2. I think I quite liked Shiver, but I never bothered to read the next book. That says something as well, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that says a lot! Right now I'm glad I didn't go for the trilogy set, because I wouldn't have bothered with the other books, I'm afraid.

      Delete
  3. i stopped at shiver too^^;;
    We can't all have the same taste and that's better that way ^^ more diversity. i hope you will enjoy more your next choice^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it would be boring if everyone loved the same things!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for posting this.This is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete