June 2, 2013

TEA & BOOKS Reading Challenge


I really don't mean to keep you from reading your tomes, but I'm sure you've got a minute to share what you've been up to reading-challenge-wise this past month.

As for myself, I got started on one giant book, the kind that, thrown at the right angle, can kill a man. Not as though I put this theory to the test. If I had, I wouldn't be posting this, but sitting in some jail cell right now. I did however manage to hurt my wrist with that big tome *sigh*. Not by hurling it, mind you, but by holding it while reading, how lame is that. Anyway, the culprit is Limit by Frank Sch├Ątzing, which is not only heavy (we're talking 2.5 pounds), it's also long (1.200+ pages) and filled with far too many words. Stop laughing, I'm serious.

The plan is to finish this tome this month, probably in the next two weeks. As it's too much to handle in one go, I am squeezing in a few light reads to keep my inner bookworm from going crazy and my arms from going numb (remember how heavy that thing is, folks). That'll put me on my chosen level by the end of June and maybe, just very maybe, I am going to upgrade to the next level then. I mean, there are still plenty of fat books lying in wait here.

In case you feel the sudden urge to join, you may still sign up for the challenge and get acquainted with the general rules over HEREIn case you already read a tome that qualifies for this challenge during the first part of 2013, that book will of course count towards your chosen level.

Updates for the challenge will be posted regularly on Sundays near the end/beginning of a month and the next date will be June 30th.

Which tome are you currently reading? Or maybe you're in-between heavy chunksters right now? Ever hurt yourself lifting a heavy tome? Please share!

8 comments:

  1. Ouch that is not good if your book is hurting you. Hope you will finish it soon so you can give it a proper punishment.

    I have not finished any book for this challenge this month but am working on two right now which might mean I will make my goal by the end of June.

    Good luck with finishing that big one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall punish it, all right! Or maybe I'm such a wimp because my wrists don't get any workout with my Kindle, who knows?
      As to the challenge, it'd be great if you also reach your level by the end of the month. Thinking about upgrading, maybe?

      Delete
  2. I am working up the courage to start on The discovery of heaven by Harry Mulish, but I think it will be July before I have the time to begin this book.
    It is a good thing to read lighter books as well, and by that I mean lighter in weight!

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really missing lighter books too these days, but this too shall pass (or so they say). As you mention courage - this is one of the reasons I started this reading challenge, because most of us (including myself) need a little nudge to finally pick up one of those heavy tomes ...

      Delete
  3. Oh yes, I know the pain of reading heavy tomes - they make my wrists ache!

    I haven't finished the heavy tome I'm reading this month, but as I've only got this one to finish to complete the challenge as a Berry Tea Devotee, I'm not in any rush. After that I may try to get to the next level - I prefer Earl Grey tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer Earl Grey too, so I will probably upgrade for that reason alone! Oh yes, and it will also help getting some more tomes off my TBR stacks.

      Delete
  4. I'm still just coasting at two books (plus a bonus book) read so far. I'll probably pick up my next tome at the end of the month. Thankfully, all of my 650+ page tomes are digital so I'm only lugging my Kindle around. Two or three of the ones I read last year were physical and they were brutal to lug around on my commutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to tomes I shall from here on out resort to the Kindle version too. It's even brutal to read them at home, so I don't want to think about dragging such a heavy book around with me all day.

      Delete