June 30, 2013

TEA & BOOKS Reading Challenge


It's time again (so soon, oh my) for another update in this challenge and seeing how we've officially reached halftime, no further fooling and/or lazing around, my dears!

While I didn't expect it, I am happy to announce that I managed to finish two mega-tomes (as a reminder, books with 1.200+ pages qualify for two books) which means I have already reached the Berry Tea Devotee level I signed up for. The next step? An upgrade, obviously. I'm not heavily into fruit tea and really more of a Earl Grey Aficionado anyway.

Now, which books did I tackle?
It (Stephen King)
Limit (Frank Sch├Ątzing)

The sad thing about these two chunksters is how I didn't really enjoyed either one, but mainly kept on drudging through for the sake of this challenge. While I still have a number of big books on my reading piles I am almost hesitant to pick up the next one, and to be on the safe side I will steer clear of the real fat bricks and instead hunt down those in the 650+ range before considering anything even remotely around 1.000 pages. Who could blame me?

Curious about who else is participating in the challenge? Go here.

Updates for the challenge will be posted regularly on Sundays near the end/beginning of a month and the next date will be August 4th.

How many tomes did you plow through during the first six months? Have you reached your chosen level yet? Then how about an upgrade? Comment away!

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear you did not really enjoy both books! That is such a shame. I read It once, and altough it had some good bits, there are parts that are very, very boring (especially towards the end).

    I think about reading Mists of Avalon again, it has 952 pages in my Dutch version. I am looking forward to that, because I think it must be 15 years ago I last read it.
    First I was going to read The discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulish, and perhaps I will, but right now Avalon speaks louder to me!
    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to read "Mists of Avalon" but somehow never got around to it. Let's face it, its size scared me! Well, maybe one day ...

      Delete
  2. It is sad if you have to read big books that you do not enjoy. Please pick up a book next you will enjoy :)

    I finished one book with 718 pages this month which puts me on 5 books so one book short of my goal for Earl Grey Aficionado and though I am listening to Pillars of the Earth (can we count that?) I still have a few tomes ready on my shelf to be read too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try my very best to pick my next tome more wisely!
      About audio books ... as long as it's not an abridged version and the "page count" matches the printed version, you may count the book toward your level!

      Delete
  3. I finished one book (Barnaby Rudge by Dickens) in June so I've reached my target level of 4 books, the Berry Tea Level. As there is still half the year left I should easily (ha, ha!) make it up to the next level of Earl Grey! I'm not sure which book to read next though - I fancy something shorter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! You're right where I am now in this challenge, so it's two more tomes for us to make it to our preferred tea of choice!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the books. It seems like a pretty good book to me, mostly because my boyfriend likes it so much. Is there going to be review online of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt pretty bad about not liking it, mostly because one of my best friends loves the book so much. Well, tastes differ, right?
      No review coming up - I currently don't have the time to write full fledged reviews and will only do very brief two-line-reviews on Sundays in *The Reading Files*.

      Delete