July 10, 2013

Beyond the Shelf

Many avid blog readers will already be familiar with these two havens of book purchases, so this is for those newbies who love to book shop while saving a buck or two!

Bought
The Book Depository ... founded in 2004 and based in the UK TBD is one of the world's largest dedicated online booksellers, currently offering over nine million unique titles, available for dispatch within 48 hours, to be shipped free of charge to over 100 countries. Can't make up your mind what to buy? Watch other people buying in real time!

Acquired
The art of reading is in great part that of acquiring a better understanding of life from one's encounter with it in a book.
André Maurois

Purchased
AwesomeBooks ... equally founded back in 2004, AwesomeBooks caters to customers who know a good bargain when they see one. Stocking over two million items, in both used or new condition, with free shipping to UK, USA, Canada and most of Europe at present (and low delivery charges to the rest of thew world), this is the go-to place for everyone who loves used books.

8 comments:

  1. I bought almost all of my books at The Book Depository, but now that I've discovered Awesomebooks (about 3 months ago), I'm totally hooked.. I keep on ordering, because it's so cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! Not a week goes by that I will search for books at AwesomeBooks and who could blame me with their great prices?

      Delete
  2. Or you go to play.com and compare the prices of both these sites and buy from the cheapest one :)

    At least that's what I tend to do, because sometimes certain books are a few €'s cheaper which adds upp to a lot when you buy a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually compare too, because sometimes the eBook will be cheaper than a used book. BTW play.com is a new site for me, so thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. i haven't tried awesomebooks so far i will have a look at it because i must admit i'm quite happy with the bookdepository service ( they resent books that wete stolen/disappeared etc and it'sa security)

    i was also recommende betterworld books and fishpond but i haven't tried those

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try AwesomeBooks too if you don't mind that the books are used. Their service has always been very reliable and even when I noticed months after a purchase that a book had missing pages(!!) they refunded me without a problem.

      Delete
  4. E recently decided to start reading Pratchett books in German. He contacted a renowned book store in the states and was able to order some books, but it cost him a small fortune. I told him about TBD, and when he looked at the site, he was ill at how much he could have saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine the prices in stores must be high for foreign language books. I still remember how expensive English books used to be when I was still at Uni and bought them all in brick-and-mortar stores instead of online.

      Delete