July 22, 2013

The Curious Reader - Where has all the original content gone?

This one's for my fellow bloggers and otherwise everyone else who's easily turned off by blogs who got rid of original content ...

Where has all the original content gone?

Source
It was one of those days when a dozen cover reveals attacked me at once. Same cover, obviously. Now don't get me wrong, this has nothing to do with the fact that I am not easily excited by book covers in general, and I also realize that authors and/or publishers want to get word out and make readers curious about upcoming books, but (and there is always a but) it's just one of many symptoms a lot of book blogs are suffering from. Next to no original content.

It's all the same to me.

When blog content is the same on many a blog, why follow them all? Of course it will rarely happen that a blog will have zero original content, but yes, I've encountered some who have an estimated 8:2 ratio of promotional to original content. Makes you wonder about what's the point in blogging at all if you don't come up with anything yourself? Well, obviously it won't keep some bloggers to continue doing what they're doing. As for myself, I find this boring on the verge to annoying.

Blog tours and cover reveals are valuable tools when it comes to promoting books and authors, yet sometimes it's way too much for my taste. The fact that these blog posts are often generic doesn't help much either. I mean, I like interviews and guest posts as much as the next reader, but if you find the exact same posts on countless blogs, I move from being interested to being turned off.

Quantity over quality?

To some bloggers it's more about keeping readers entertained by posting regularly, even on a daily basis, than to go post-less for too long. When I decided to switch from daily blogging to my current schedule of four days a week I did so knowing that I could put enough original content into those and I didn't feel like posting "fillers" in form of press releases and book blitz events just for the sake of having daily posts to boast about.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a newspaper that's 80% ads and 20% original content, but then again maybe that's just me. Reading blogs is free, yet do you really want to get the same ol' same ol' where ever you look? Didn't think so! When a blog starts to become all fluff and no substance to me, I'm sorry to say, I will unfollow. Of course the odd promo post here or there won't turn me off, because it's really about finding a good balance to make the content of a blog interesting to readers. Ultimately, of course, your blog = your decision.

Balance is key.

What's your take on blogs who lack original content? Are you as easily annoyed by blog tours or cover reveals as I am? How much is too much for you when it comes to promotional posts?

16 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and oh for heaven's sake yes to this post. You summed up my feelings perfectly. This is the reason why I only follow a few blogs because I get so tired of seeing the same books everywhere. Also because I usually don't enjoy 90% of the literature that requires this type of promotion. Thus not saying that it's bad - it's just not what I enjoy. It's also rare to find a review of a promotional book that's negative - which makes me suspicious. Usually it's some nice enough review written so as not to offend, and even though I'm not encouraging book bashing - which I have been known to do from time to time, because some books are just vile and it needs to be said - I can't trust a reader who likes everything they read.

    I post reviews 4 days a week, and have my Friday Funs when I can be arsed. I rarely post any discussions on the blog because my opinions tend to be harsh and off-putting (so I've been told on numerous accounts), so I just pop over to blogs like yours and fill up your comment section with my chatter. It works for me.

    Also, cover reveals!?

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to love the discussion post I have scheduled two weeks from now - it's a wee little rant about blogs who solely post 5-star reviews - and I totally agree about the reviews you'll see on blog tours mostly being of the raving variety which makes my suspicion-meter go crazy!

      What I love about discussion posts is how it brings people with totally different opinions together. What would be the point (or fun) in such posts if everyone agreed on its content anyway? So what if some opinions are harsh or off-putting? It just gives discussions more flavor!

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you! I should really clean up my Bloglovin and get rid of those blogs that post only blogtours and cover reveals, because it's really annoying me. Thought I was the only one haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I unfollowed quite a few blogs because of that though, to be fair, if it's a blog that also has interesting content and is not solely based on promo material, then I will stick around and just ignore the boring bits.

      Delete
  3. cover reveals are what bother me the most.. all teh same everywhere at the same time it wears me off. Now blog tour i'm a little more positive about them because some are interesting and different ( ex a guest post different at each stop, part of a story you have one chapter different at each stop and one of my favourite author will make special short story one for each stop... that's interesting, funny and not boring) but those with only teh same excerpt again and again and just teh cover without any though of teh blogger even then i really dislike...

    i don't post a lot ( perhaps not enough) but so far i didn't participate in a lot of tour ( only for books i really loved or at teh beginning when i was learning) since i don't have a lot of recent books ( more than before but still i get them with a time difference^^) i think it's an interesting change but yes some are not interested in reading about past release. i don't mind the blog is how i like it and for teh reader ( or follower) who enjoy it

    as always i appreciate your input^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it - it's so rare to find blog tours that are "different" and actually offer something enjoyable and interesting to read at each stop. If more authors offered fun and diverse content for each stop I wouldn't mind them so much.

      Delete
  4. Just the other week I culled a dozen or more feeds from my feed that had become chiefly about cover reveals, book blitz's and memes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And isn't it weird how these blog tours and memes seem to get more and more. I wonder if it makes bloggers think about why they are loosing followers?

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a wonderful post! I agree as strongly as I can! All the commercial materials are soooo annoying! I have recently unfollowed all the blogs that feature a lot of "fashionable" stuff, including covers, tours and just any new shiny YA novel that comes their way. And I feel so much better now while reading my RSS feed :)
    Memes are also sometimes really irritating. I hate those that feature a random line from a book, for example. What will it say to me? Nothing. But there are some really cool ones, like Top Ten, which is different on every blog and which bloggers usually put some thought into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memes don't annoy me as much as those promotional posts, because some can be quite fun! I participated in Top Ten Tuesday for a while (now I don't have enough time for it) and loved to stop by other blogger's posts each week.

      Delete
  6. Cover reveals, aren't they mostly for YA books? Never seen one in ages but I stay away from YA blogs anyway. The hype gets on my nerves.
    As for blog tours, hey, I am participating in one soon, my first one in fact, and was surprised to see how many blogs will be participating! God, you will all be bored excessively by the time that tour is over. Thankfully I am pretty much at the beginning, so I am not too bothered. And I don't know any of the other participating blogs either.
    As for other original content, my brain is too overcooked by now from heat to be able to think straight. It seems summer is not conducive to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact I think cover reveals really are a YA phenomenon. Must be some kind of age-thing ... you know, you start out with picture books when little and slowly work yourself up! ;-)

      As to your blog tour - which book/author will it be? Is it something non-fiction? Please let it be non-fiction!! Personally I only ever participated in two smallish book tours, non-fiction obviously, in my early blogging days. That was fun, plus all the other posts were different and not as generic as what you often find on such tours today.

      Overcooked? Tell me about it ... I have enough ideas to write about, but typing = sweating

      Delete
  7. I agree. When I scroll through my Bloglovin' it's mostly about cover reveals, Book Tours, etc. I also think it's too much when a blog has a Meme almost every day of the week. But I haven't gotten around sorting through the list of blogs I'm following. I think, if the blog I follow still posts good quality reviews, I'll overlook these things.
    I personally only post about 1-3 times a week. I don't want to spam my followers with all sorts of silly stuff. When I post something, it should be content that I'd be interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, it really is like spam when you get tons of the same posts from various blogs (preferably all at the same time too). I too prefer to blog only every other day or so, instead of posting all kinds of "fillers".

      Delete
  8. I don't even understand why cover reveals exist. You're at least the third blogger I've heard this complaint from and I know I never read these posts. I'll also unfollow a blog that has them anything but very rarely. I also never do this sort of post and will only sign up for a book tour if I can do a review post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really get it either, I mean, I do appreciate well made and pretty covers, but somehow finding out about the plot line of a new book is of far more importance to me than what's on the cover.

      Delete