July 8, 2013

The Curious Reader - Which literary characters wouldn't you want to be stranded on a deserted island with?

Now wouldn't it be nice to have our favorite characters with us on that notoriously deserted island? Sadly we can't always have what we want and so it's probably a whole lot more likely to be stranded with someone we positively do not want to be stranded with ...

Which literary characters wouldn't you want to be stranded on a deserted island with?

Source
Seeing how summer is here, well at least in the northern hemisphere, and many folks are taking vacations to exotic and far away places, how about giving that whole deserted island scenario a whole new twist. I know many could think of nothing more horrible than being stuck there with their family (just kidding ... maybe), but things could always be worse. They usually are. So let's discuss our ultimate bad-dreams-cast for our stay on that island!

1. Hannibal Lecter
I guess I don't really have to explain that one, do I? Then again, making his acquaintance is probably better than ending up as shark food while trying to escape. At least he'd make fabulous dinner conversation (apart from the ugly fact that I'd be dinner *gulp*).

2. Bella Swan
Seriously, what would she be good for on that island? She doesn't quite strike me as the kind of girl who'd more than whine all the time. On the upside, she likes guys who're all fangy so with Hannibal eat... I mean distracting her, I could plan my getaway.

3. Hänsel & Gretel
Don't give me that look! Would you want to be stuck there with kids who'd shove you into the fire pit just so they could scoff the last piece of chocolate you've been hiding? I think not.

4. Robinson Crusoe
Granted, that'd be a guy who already knows the ropes, but let's not forget he must still be traumatized by having been stranded before, so he'd probably go completely nuts and things are already awful with all of the above mentioned folks.

5. Cujo
As much as I might long for (wo)mans best friend as a companion on the island, I'm afraid a rabid dog is just bad news. Of course dear Bella might like the pooch, seeing how she's into the whole teethy biting thing, but as for myself, I would have to stay warm by not leaving the fire pit those brats previously pushed me into.

Which literary characters would you not want to be stuck with on an island? Maybe you wouldn't mind to find yourself with one of my nightmare-cast? 

11 comments:

  1. I had to laugh very hard when I read this.:-)
    My answer would be
    - Edward Cullen (only worried about sparkeling in the sun, complete idiot and absolutely useless)
    - Henry from The Time Traveller's wife (would probably vanish every time you need him)
    - Mr Willoughby from Sense and Sensibility, (apart from the sparkeling in the sun the same things apply to him as for Edward)

    Kind regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I had to laugh the whole time writing this post!
      And now that you mention it, I don't think dear Edward would be the best company on that island either for me.

      Delete
  2. Chigurh from the book NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN by Cormac McArthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a hitman wouldn't exactly make living on that island fun though he might be helpful to get rid of all the annoying characters I mentioned! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with your first four choices and I would add that any character from Ryu Murakami's books will not be welcome to my island mainly because they would either try to kill me or I would try to kill them :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait a sec ... YOU would try to kill off all those characters? My oh my and I thought you'd be a gentle person who couldn't harm a fly ...

      Delete
    2. "a gentle person", good one, Birgit! :)))

      Delete
  4. Great answers! I laughed really hard at them hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is no laughing matter ... or would you still laugh being stuck with them on that island? ;-)

      Delete
  5. My list:
    - Melanie Wilkes from GWTW (She irritates me and I always have the urge to slap her)
    - Amy March from Little Women (yes, she may be my namesake but she's a snot. I want to slap her too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oh my, you really don't like these two!

      Delete