July 14, 2013

The Reading Files - Feathers & Poison

Enough with the sleuthing (for the time being anyway) and on to younger pastures ...

Hush, Hush (Becca Fitzpatrick)

Thoughts. Girl falls for bad guy who isn't all that bad in the end, and how could he, considering the whole angel theme. Basically a run of the mill YA novel with an average and foreseeable plot line, though I did enjoy the author's voice which was refreshingly sassy.

First lineChauncey was with a farmer's daughter on the grassy banks of the Loire River when the storm rolled in, and having let his gelding wander in the meadow, was left to his own two feet to carry him back to the chateau.

Verdict. Average romantic fantasy romp!

Poison Study (Maria V. Snyder)

Thoughts. Poison. Assassination. Magic. A well rounded plot which reminded me of one of my favorite books with its character depiction and world building, so obviously I was instantly hooked. Surprisingly dark and brutal for YA it would have made an even better adult novel!

First line. Locked in darkness that surrounded me like a coffin, I had nothing to distract me from my memories.

Verdict. Wonderfully captivating fantasy tale!

2 comments:

  1. i haven't read any of those but i have been interested in both. to be honest teh poison study is on my wishlist for a long long time but unfortunately i could never find the trilogy in teh same edition always one book was missing so it made it difficult to get it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Poison Study took me by surprise, it was such a wonderful fantasy and it didn't read like YA at all :) Glad you enjoyed it, Birgit!

    ReplyDelete