July 21, 2013

The Reading Files - Six feet under ...

Guess what I found in one (of many) boxes? A whole stack of thrillers that I bought over two years ago at a flea market. Time to finally let those novels see the light of day. And apart from the murderous theme, guess what these two books also have in common? The first sentences are only two words long ...

Cemetery Lake (Paul Cleave)

Thoughts. Dead bodies are turning up at a cemetery, but not quite where you'd expect them. A gritty and intense thriller that pulled me in from the get go. Loved the story-line and particularly the hardly-perfect main character was excellently devised. Add that the author's engaging narrative voice is a definite winner.

First line. Blue fingernails.

Verdict. Dark and gripping psychological thriller!

Break No Bones (Kathy Reichs)

Thoughts. Fresh skeleton popping up at archaeological dig and yet more dead bodies keep on coming. Enjoyable enough, offering plenty of story on Tempe Brennan herself, I didn't care much about the actual mystery which felt rather bland to me. Probably shouldn't have started with a novel so late in the series either.

First line. Never fails.

Verdict. Bestseller to some, but a thriller that's bordering on boring for me!

6 comments:

  1. I've been having a good sort through of stuff and I seem to find a book lurking in every possible corner. There was even one in a bag of clothes shoved at the back of the wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this theory that they sometimes play hide and seek, in fact I once heard they might even attack you from behind when you least expect it. Of course this could simple be a bookish urban myth, but then again ...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you discovered a treasure. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^ and both first line finish with "ails" ^^ so many similarities^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! I hadn't even noticed that ... too funny.

      Delete
  4. OO cemetary lake sounds like a fab read. I love old finds that you forget about :D

    ReplyDelete