August 9, 2013

Non-Fiction Discoveries

It's not all about reading. In fact, where would we be if somebody hadn't at first written ...

It all starts with the first sentence, obviously. Admittedly none of my stories start with weather observations along the lines of "It was a dark and stormy night ...", though I bet that's not all there is to learn.

Building Great Sentences: How to Write the Kinds of Sentences You Love to Read (Brooks Landon)
Publ. June 25th - PBK
Plume

Stephen King hasn't been the first, and apparently not the last either, to talk about the writing craft. While I never read Mr. King, why not go straight for the confusingly enough similar title by this Scottish writer?

On Writing (A.L. Kennedy)
Publ. March 7th 2013 - HC
Vintage Publishing

If it weren't for my obsession to read about writing, the gorgeous cover alone would have lured me in. A memoir of the writing life wrapped in such a lovely package, how could I ever resist?

Still Writing: The Pleasures and Perils of a Creative Life (Dani Shapiro)
Publ. October 1st 2013
Atlantic Monthly Press

No comments:

Post a Comment