August 4, 2013

TEA & BOOKS Reading Challenge


As the months move along and those steaming mugs of tea are being replaced by clinking ice cubes cooling our beverage of choice I decided to skip the finger pointing regarding falling behind in the challenge (which will commence in the next updates anyway) and instead share some stats about this reading challenge with you.

43% Chamomile Lover (2 books)
31% Berry Tea Devotee (4 books) 
12% Earl Grey Aficionado (6 books) 
14% Sencha Connoisseur (8 or more books) 

Apparently those heavy tomes made most sign up for the lowest level which is definitely a good start, besides it's not as though there wasn't the possibility of an upgrade somewhere along the way. Kudos to everyone who went straight for the highest level, because not even I dared to do that.

With a total of 51 participants the challenge has a nice size too. As is the case in my other reading challenge, here too only a handful of readers aren't book bloggers, but obviously needed some additional motivation to battle those chunksters.

As I already mentioned upgrades to higher levels I don't really recall any volunteers right now, but personally I am contemplating to possibly maybe go for Earl Grey Aficionado (despite failing last year *sigh*). Everyone's slightly more comment-friendly in this challenge (or maybe it seems this way as there are more participants) with lots of familiar names popping up in the comment section each month. So let me give a shout-out to some of you today: Bettina, Ciska, Margaret, Karen, and Geoff.

Curious about who is participating in the challenge? Go here.

Updates for the challenge will be posted regularly on Sundays near the end/beginning of a month and the next date will be September 1st.

16 comments:

  1. Whoohoo! Thanks for the shout out :) It really is the easiest to sign up for two and then hope they're ridiculously tome-y and they can double count. I'm trekking through Les Miserables which will ultimately bring me up to the Earl Grey Aficionado level when I read my final tome of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the downside those ridiculously tome-y books as you called them have both been a let-down AND trudge for me, so I have decided to go with smaller ones for the upgrade to the next level ... small as in under 1.000 pages, ha.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout out!
    I did not read a big enough book this month. Got a few in the pipe line though and am still listening to Pillars of the Earth so well on my way for my goal of Earl Grey Aficionado.

    Good luck for all the other participants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pipe line sounds good, besides you need a break too from those chunksters every once in a while.

      Delete
  3. I am on my 9th book now, but some are shorter than others. Anyway, I am getting through my stash and just finished "Lincoln Unbound" by Ralph Lowry. Well written new book - but although about Abraham Lincoln - the last chapter had comparisons between which Lincoln Believed and stood For and what People are standing for now. This last chapter could have been left out unless you have conservative leanings and like that thing. The Author is the Editor of the "National Review" which is a conservative magazine. I am now reading from my stash -- "The Winthrop Covenant" by Louis Auchincloss a book from 1976.

    Enjoy summer one and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think this comment belongs to the other challenge, but that's fine. Let me just say that 9 books is great. Here's to 9 more by the end of the year! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! I didn't finish any tomes in July - I'm still part way through Antonia Fraser's Mary Queen of Scots, but got side-tracked by shorter books :) But as there are 5 months of the year left I could easily (ha!ha!) upgrade to the Earl Grey Aficionado by the end of the year - I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One cannot live off big tomes alone, so I understand the whole side-tracking. An upgrade sounds great, of course. Let me know when you're ready and I'll write it down in the sing-up list.

      Delete
  5. yikes, I'm doing much worst than I anticipated it. luckily there is still lots of time to catch up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops, I meant to write this for non fiction challenge - darn multiple tabs. although I can't say that I'm doing much better with this one. :D

      Delete
    2. "Yikes" is not what I want to hear from any participant! ;-) But there's still time left, so all hope isn't lost ... yet.

      Delete
  6. I just posted an update on my challenge. I had signed up for the Berry Tea Devotee level and reached it last month! Yay! I am going to continue on to the next level (6 books).

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to the upgrade! I decided to venture towards the next level, also 6 books, as well.

      Delete
  7. Being in the middle of Passions of the Mind, I realized that this is going to be my 4th over 650 page book, so please upgrade me to Berry Tea Devotee level, you-hoooo! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done. And oh, by the way, two weeks ago I decided to upgrade as well, already read another tome AND will only need one more to reach the Earl Grey Aficionado level (I kinda prefer that tea to berry tea, hahaha).

      Delete
  8. I read one tome in July. I have now finished 3 books and only have one to go before I reach my goal. I finished Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb

    http://janeharfeld.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/tea-books-reading-challenge-2013-sign-up.html

    ReplyDelete