August 12, 2013

The Curious Reader - How are you showing off your bookish love?

There are those who simply like to read and there are those who make it their lifestyle ...

How are you showing off your bookish love?

Carrying around a book where ever you go is probably the best and most obvious proof that you like to get your read on, but there are many other ways to show your love for them. Extreme cases involve building a house that looks like a giant bookshelf or maybe even painting your car to look like a reading chair on wheels. Of course there are other, more subtle ways too.

I love books and books love me.

Source
Now I'm not saying that the idea of a tank top with a Girl on Fire print isn't a cute idea, it's just not something I'd personally wear. Come to think of it, I don't recall ever wearing clothes that had some kind of literary source. Unless you count the Gary Larson shirt I used to own years ago which featured barbecuing cows (I'm weird, I know). Not exactly literature, but his cartoons did get published as books. Either way, it might not be my idea of showing my love for certain novels, but I know others are into bookish garments.

Source
A bit more like me would be a tote bag with a catchy phrase or quote. Think along the lines of Keep Calm & Read On or the all-time favorite Reading is Sexy. Plus, it's practical too. You may use it for grocery shopping, but preferably for hauling home some tomes from your latest book store excursion.

Forget food, I need more books.

While these examples are just the more obvious ones, you can also go for stuff that screams I'm a Book Nerd with, say, a thermos that prominently displays your adoration for Game of Thrones or you could even settle for a scene out of your favorite Shakespeare play tattooed on your back. Possibilities are endless (and obviously not always painless) as is the imagination of the author.

The interesting question would be if this is just an extension of your love for a book and/or author or whether it's taking your literary passions a tad too far. Personally I'm the kind of gal who will simply resort to being a reader and has no intention of building a Harry Potter shrine in the living room or transform the garden into a place where Hobbits would want to live. Apparently I'm not a bookish show-off. Besides, it's certainly not equal to the necessity of enjoying a book itself, not to me anyway. Of course, one fine day I might wake up and feel the need to get some cute little bookish decals on my toenails. When that moment arrives, I'll definitely share a pic or two of my tootsies *wink*.

To thine own self be true.

Are you into literary accessories and decorations? Ever worn a Mr. Darcy T-shirt or put a Hunger Games bumper sticker on the car? Or maybe reading a book is enough for you and you don't feel the need to dress/style yourself and/or your surroundings?

14 comments:

  1. I never thought of it before as showing off, but I guess I do that in two ways.

    First, my husband and I have turned our living room (since we also have a family room to use for watching tv) into a library.

    Second, I have an oversize purse so I can carry a book easily. I'm not showing off the book; the purse actually looks like I'm carrying a little computer, which I think is what it is meant for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say a home library and a big purse isn't showing off but more of a general necessity for book lovers! :-)

      Delete
  2. I have a Level 2 button on my schoolbag, but T-shirts with text and pictures on it isn't really my thing. I like them plain, so I can spice them up with jewelry: I have a HP necklace and HP earrings :) I really love tote bags and I think I'll buy some more. It's a fun way of showing my love for books (and I can carry my books around at the same time, so it's practical as well)

    I like to show it in subtle ways :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you're in camp subtle, next thing we know you paint a bookshelf on your front door! Just teasing. :-D

      Delete
  3. i guess apart from having a book with me most of the time and having fdone a blog i'm not showing off that much^^;;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's ok, the most important accessories are books themselves anyway!

      Delete
  4. I love tote bags with bookish images on them, I haven't worn a book T shirt that I can recall, but if I saw one I liked I would. One of my best nightshirts ever had dewey decimal classification numbers alongside all the pictures on it, but that is more libarian-nerd than book-geek. Book related jewlery also falls into the category of I-haven't-but-I-would. The license plate on my car is READ so I think I go solidly into the show-off-my-book-love camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's one cool license plate! And a Dewey nightshirt? That definitely proves you like your books! ;-)

      Delete
  5. I haven't ever owned any book themed clothes, but your post makes me want some :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw the comment above? A nightshirt with dewey decimal classification numbers on it - perfect for you I'd say! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Well, my shrine is dedicated to Madonna, her books and books about her included, so I guess that part is taken, but I did want to buy a carpet with books spread on the floor, then I decided not to, since that would have been way too much :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my ... such a carpet might indeed be a bit too much! Well, maybe if it's available as a small rug which you could put next to the bed it'd be fine! ;-)

      Delete
  7. I have GWTW home décor items in my house. Most notably my collection of the Hallmark ornaments- I even bought a little ornament tree on which to display them. I also have the Little Women ornaments on display year round. I did once own a t-shirt that said 'Bookworm' but it was something that was a fundraiser for our town library and my sister bought it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I remember you showing pictures of those on FB! I don't think we even have such ornaments dedicated to certain books and their characters in good old Europe (not as though I even had the space to show them off). Or maybe I've been looking in the wrong shops! ;-)

      Delete