October 27, 2013

TEA & BOOKS Reading Challenge


Welcome back everyone! I hope you didn't miss my updates to this challenge during my vacation last months too much. Of course, just because I was traveling doesn't mean I haven't been reading and I certainly hope this will also be true for all of you.

After reaching my chosen level by the end of June I decided to be daring and upgrade to the next level. While I've been a bit skeptic whether I could really do it, despite having enough time, I was a bit apprehensive as I never made it to my chosen level last year which is pretty pathetic especially seeing how this challenge is my brainchild. That was mainly the reason why I signed up for a lower level this year, only to find myself upgrading again. Next thing you know, I finished another tome this summer which meant only one more to go. Then, a week ago I figured I had to impress you (and myself) by picking up the next (and final) chunkster ...

I'm happy to announce that by reading Duma Key by Stephen King (who, as we've already established couldn't write a short book if his life depended on it) I have now officially reached the Earl Grey Aficionado level. Needless to say, I'm sooo proud of myself. Not only did I finished the upgraded challenge well before the end of the year, even more so, I managed to rid my TBR piles of some serious chunksters which have previously been to daunting to tackle alone. Yay me!

Curious about who is participating in the challenge? Go here.

Updates for the challenge will be posted regularly on Sundays near the end/beginning of a month and the next date will be December 1st.

Anyone else finished this challenge by now? If so, how about a lil' last minute upgrade to the next level? If not, how many more tomes have you got on your plate shelf? Please share.

16 comments:

  1. YAY for reaching the Earl Grey Aficionado level. I read two books for this challenge since my last update and am on 7 books now. Am not sure if the 8th will happen but I do have some books still that will qualify!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! I am sure the 8th book will be easy-peasy to pick (and read) for you.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on being so successful with your big books! :)
    I reached my Sencha Connoisseur level last month with finishing The Thousand and One Nights (http://irrelevant-scribble.blogspot.cz/2013/09/one-thousand-and-one-nights-review.html), but I haven't stopped and this month added one more thick book to the list: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman (http://irrelevant-scribble.blogspot.cz/2013/10/here-be-dragons-by-sharon-kay-penman.html).
    I'm now reading The Mysteries of Udolpho, which is also a very big book, and I hope to finish it soon. You'll need more levels next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picture me thoroughly impressed, in fact, I am even tempted to maybe upgrade and go for Sencha Connoisseur myself ... no, wait, the moment of insanity has passed!

      Delete
  3. Well done! I reached my target by the end of June too and I'm aiming at the Earl Grey Aficionado level. I've read one more book - The Pillars of the Earth, 1,088 pages. And am now reading Gone With the Wind, hoping to finish it by the end of the year :) which will get me there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done and yay to trying for the next level! Personally I never got around to reading "The Pillars of the Earth", but with recommendations from a friend of mine I might actually try myself on "Gone With the Wind" too one of these days.

      Delete
  4. I now have a plan of attack for getting through my piles on the desktop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good having a plan. Now put it away and read. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I think technically I'm done with the challenge total book number wise, but I haven't read the books I assigned to the challenge. So who knows where I will end up with the challenge. Good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now don't you worry about not reading the books you initially had in mind. Books are books and as long as they are on the heavy side you're all set. Goes without saying, you're once again my model reader in this challenge!

      Delete
  6. Hi all,
    I'm very excited because I just finished the last page of my eighth book, thereby completing the challenge! I feel the need to boast about this, so here goes. This year I have read:

    The Shell Seekers by Pilcher, 670 pages
    The Stand (extended edition) by King, 1325 pages
    Gormenghast trilogy by Peake, 953 pages
    Magician by Feist, 864 pages
    A Suitable Boy by Seth, 1488 pages
    Cross Stitch by Gabaldon, 863 pages
    The Complete Forsyte Saga by Galsworthy, 752 pages
    Les Miserables by Hugo, 1232 pages

    It's been a great mixed bag of all sorts of different styles. Hope you're all enjoying it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That deserves a big round of applause! And oh my, do I see some super-tomes there too!? I'm completely in awe ... now you're allowed to feast on some novellas for a change! :-)

      Delete
    2. I've actually got a stack of children's books ready to go. Is it bad that I often find them more imaginative than books for adults? Btw, for anybody wanting to try some authors they may not have tried, I can highly recommend the Dutch author Paul Biegel, who's had a few things translated into English. Definitely a good palate cleanser!

      Delete
  7. I reached my chosen level of Berry Tea Devotee the 11th of October.

    TEA & BOOKS Reading Challenge 2013 Finished

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm finishing it up this month. Planned to do 2, and on the second with a re-read of the massive IT by Stephen King

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’ve completed the challenge at the end of August! :)

    http://www.peekabook.it/2013/01/tea-books-reading-challenge-2013.html

    I've read:

    * "Twenty years after" by Alexandre Dumas (876 pages)
    * "This body of death" by Elizabeth George (654 pages)

    Will you host it again in 2014?

    I would like to inform you that I'll host the second edition of the "Women Challenge".
    You can find all the information about it here:

    http://www.peekabook.it/2013/12/2014-women-challenge.html

    Hope to see you as a participant! ^_^

    Thanks again.

    Valentina
    www.peekabook.it

    ReplyDelete