November 24, 2013

The Sunday Book Branch


the reading nook
And I got cozy again with some mysteries. Again I picked a series of which I've thoroughly enjoyed the first book with its organizationally challenged heroine. In fact, I think I will now officially declare this to be one of my favorite cozy mystery series! I love the theme and the chemistry between the main cast, plus the mysteries are quite decent too (if you read as much in this genre as I do, you rarely get surprised anymore). Granted, the last one was a bit overdone, but what the heck.

The Cluttered Corpse / Death Loves a Messy Desk / The Busy Woman's Guide to Murder (Mary Jane Maffini)
the writing desk
Writing is something that you don't know how to do. You sit down and it's something that happens, or it may not happen. So, how can you teach anybody how to write? It's beyond me, because you yourself don't even know if you're going to be able to. I'm always worried, well, you know, every time I go upstairs with my wine bottle. Sometimes I'll sit at that typewriter for fifteen minutes, you know. I don't go up there to write. The typewriter's up there. If it doesn't start moving, I say, well this could be the night that I hit the dust.
Charles Bukowski

Goodreads
the wishing tree
Songs have been written about my non-existent culinary skills, well, actually that's not quite true though it wouldn't be surprising. Despite all that I really like cookbooks, mostly for their pretty pictures. The Great British Bake Off with its breads and cakes, chutney and jams, sounds deliciously yummy to me. In fact it sounds good enough to maybe even try out some of the recipes! And when all else fails ... Mom's the word!

the book hoarder
You know what they say. Show, don't tell. So, showing it is ... I present to you my (finally) completed AwesomeBooks haul!
Neat, huh?

the literary mind
Don't you sometimes wish you could guide a story you're reading into a different direction? I fondly remember those interactive novels I read as a teen where you could choose your own path along the way. Of course I usually ended up making wrong decisions and ended up dead, but then I'd just start it all over and heck, it was fun every time. Have you ever read one of those Choose Your Own Adventure novels? If so, how'd you like them? If not, tempted to try them out?

2 comments:

  1. my brother was a great fan and still have a huge stack of them somewhere^^ i remember i tried but i kept wanting to do something different that the possibilities offered ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i should definitively try some cozy mysteries ( but yes when you read a lot you guess a lot^^)

      Delete