December 29, 2013

THIS ISN'T FICTION and TEA & BOOKS Reading Challenges

So, this is it. The end. Of course, technically speaking, you've still got two days left to finish that very last book for both of the reading challenges I hosted this year. I know that some of you even signed up for both, so needless to say (but I shall do so anyway) I am especially proud of you. Didn't quite reach your chosen level? Don't be sad, even if you only made it to a lower level than the one you had initially planned on, heck, even if you only read one chunkster or three non-fiction books, that is still an accomplishment. Granted, it's a smaller one than you might initially have had in mind, but nevertheless it is something. Didn't even read one single book? That's a different story. Go away and read. Fast. There's no other way to save face now.

Now it's your turn to share with me and all the other participants how you fared in the reading challenge you chose - was it fun, or more of a trudge? Are you glad you managed to polish off a few neglected books or tomes from your bookshelves? Maybe I even managed to turn you into a new fan of non-fiction and/or books with a measly *chuckles* 1.000 pages? 

Last but not least, some of you may wonder if there's going to be a repeat of these challenges in 2014 and I'm sorry to say that with my ongoing hiatus the answer is no, but I certainly hope I've managed to wet your appetite for non-fiction and/or heavy chunksters so you will start into the new year with the same reading enthusiasm as this year and won't need me to remind you all the time to pick up that book and read. That being said, I'm wishing you all a bookishly good start into the new year and may the odds of picking up big books and/or those that aren't fiction, be ever in your favor!

14 comments:

  1. I managed to read 8 chunksters! I am so happy with it and will for sure try to fit a few in next year. Thanks for organizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, that's awesome! While I won't be hosting the challenge again this year I do plan to polish off a few chunksters in the weeks and months to come as well.

      Delete
  2. I got one (or was it two) of the books that I said I would read for Tea & Books, but in any case I managed to read a number of chunksters this past year and was quite impressed that I got a number of thick books done, even though one of them was read on my e-reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? Often all we need is a little nudge and then those pages practically read themselves. And reading those page-heavy books on an eReader is a wise choice, in fact, with some of the volumes I read I seriously wished for the non-paper version too.

      Delete
  3. Before I go, are you doing the Tea & Books challenge again this year? Its not a big deal, just wondering is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the answer to that is no, but I know from past years that other bloggers host similar challenges, quite often they don't even make you read books with that many pages either. Here is one I found and which might be of interest to you and others:
      http://chunksterchallenge.blogspot.com/2013/12/2014-chunkster-challenge-sign-ups.html

      And for those generally into reading challenges of all different kinds check out this blog:
      http://novelchallenges.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. Thanks Birgit for getting me to clear some of the TOMES off my shelves! I finished my final one War and Peace this evening! And with that I read 6 total tomes with two counting as double so I ended up at the Sencha Connoisseur level even though I committed to the Berry Tea Devotee! I went out with a bang. Hope you have a quiet 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, Geoff! You never disappoint when it comes to reaching the highest level, do you? And right in the nick of time too. I have to say I'm proud myself as I finally managed to reach the Earl Grey Aficionado level this year (after failing the year before) and 2014 will be a bit more quiet for me, that's for sure, but maybe I will squeeze in a few chunksters anyway. And who knows, the challenge might be back in 2015 after all ...

      Delete
  5. I'm so sad Birgit!
    I love your challenge and I love big books! :)
    I'll continue reading books with more than 650 pages, I promise!

    A big hug.

    Valentina
    www.peekabook.it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Birgit for hosting these challenges. I have enjoyed doing them very much, especially the Tea and Books challenge which I completed, reading 6 massive books :). I was not as successful with the non-fiction challenge, only reading 9 :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this challenge very much in 2013! I've managed to read 10 chunksters, some of them super-big! I liked the format of monthly check-ins, and I'm very sad you will not be hosting it again next year! Wish you all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello! I don't have your email address so i just decided to wrote here a little note ( i hope you forgive me that;) , but just want to let you know that you won earrings at my little giveaway:) Please contact me on email with you address:) thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completed the challenge http://bibliographicmanifestations.blogspot.com/2013/12/tea-and-books-challenge-wrap-up.html
    I am glad not to have committed myself to more than 2, but after reading 8 chunksters in the past 2 years I am less intimidated by thick books. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completed the highest level of This isn'f fiction in November, but I only read 4 tomes (I aimed for 6). Have a happy hiatus! :)

    ReplyDelete