May 26, 2014

Let's take some books and build a library!

What constitutes a library? According to Wikipedia it's an organized collection of sources of information and similar resources, made accessible to a defined community for reference or borrowing. Then of course there's this thing called "private library" which is certainly a collection, not always organized, and more often than not cutting back on the whole borrowing part (especially when you're as finicky as me and try to keep your books in pristine condition).

Being avid readers and all it's probably a fair bet that I'm not alone when it comes to dreaming about my very own home library. And by that I don't mean shelves filled with rows of books, stacked behind one another, and a couple of boxes filled with even more books crammed into a corner. I'm talking about our books having their own space to be beautifully displayed and thoroughly enjoyed.

Now, dreaming up the perfect library is no easy task, but I'm fairly sure that we all have certain criteria that need to be met to put the perfect in front of the library. That being said (and sadly, lacking a real-life library that could be displayed here) let me introduce you to the TOP FIVE* of things that are a must when it comes to my ideal library ...

Source
An old-fashioned Chesterfield armchair as one wants to be seated in style while reading.

Source
An open fireplace adds to the cozy atmosphere and it keeps those tootsies warm too.

Source
A spiral staircase to complement the bookcases running up to the high ceiling.

Source
A tea tray. Obviously tea is the beverage of choice for this reader.

Source
A butler. Gerard Butler might be a definite bonus, but any butler will do as long as he's adept in refilling the teapot, stirring the fire, and answering the door when the mailman brings another batch of ordered books. 

Now it's your turn to spill what your ingredients for the perfect library are! Please share.

*Books and shelves are already a given, so I did not include those in the list.

4 comments:

  1. charcoal fire would be best for my health ( it does wonder on my back) i would enjoy a couch where i could sit or lie down depending on the book, i would not pick the spiral staircase but i would enjoy some in wood and buid in the shelves ( need to find a picture to explain my vision)

    i never thought of the butler but yes it can come in handy^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the butler is more of a bonus feature! The other things are certainly a lot more important. Admittedly I haven't given much thought to what kind of fire ... coal sounds just as nice as wood. I wouldn't want one of those gas-fueled fireplaces though.

      Delete
  2. I think you hit the key points pretty well. I might add a few sleeping cats or a big bear of a dog beside the fireplace, but I've always dreamed of having a library since I was little. All of my childhood books have "Property of Engler Library" scrawled on the inside covers in childish script and some arbitrary late fee based on the number of vowels in the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now a big bear of a dog sounds great too, but more importantly I'll need a plaque on the door that says "Birgit's Library"!

      Delete