June 23, 2014

Twinkle twinkle little review star!

Reviews. We read them, we ignore them, we get into heated discussions over them. But no matter how your own stance on book reviews may be, rest assured that there will always be someone else who will whole-heatedly disagree with you. Thus I felt it's time to share with you my personal TOP FIVE review-related observations and insights which I've acquired over the past few years of book blogging ...

Source
I
If someone loves (or loathes, for that matter) every single book they read, I recommend to take their reviews with a grain of salt.

II
Judging a book merely by the stars it received is plain superficial. I suggest to read the review and ignore the rating.

III
Free books for bloggers do not translate into dishonest reviews. Exceptions to the rule are few and far between.

IV
Whether a review should be short or long is entirely up to the reviewer and a matter of personal taste. It's about the content, not the word count.

V
It is not ok to affront or attack someone when their views on a book collide with your own opinion. We can't all be of one mind, so live and let live.

What's your take on my reviewing wisdoms? Anything you'd like to add? Please share.

2 comments:

  1. The social media icons go really well with your design! And great post - a general 'be nice' policy! :D
    - Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of these :)

    I would also like to add that it is important to know the reviewer (as much as one can) and why they blog. People who gravitate towards a certain type of literature will always have issues with books out of their comfort zone, making their reviews very biased. I don't like chick lit, therefore any foray into that area will most likely lead to annoyance and a negative review. Consequently, if you like chick lit, you'll think my reviews unfair.

    An aside: I get suspicious of bloggers who only review free books.

    ReplyDelete