October 22, 2014

How long would it take you to read [insert title of a really huge tome]?

As much as I love to throw in the occasional blog post about bookish quizzes, I will share a different kind of thing today. More precisely, a test to find out just how long it would take you to read, say, Game of Thrones. Sounds daunting? It is, even when you're heavily into epic fantasy novels. So as not to steal too much of your precious reading time (you'll need it, trust me), how about finding out how long it'd take until you could finally close the last page of the last book and release a long deep sigh ...



Take what presumably is an average reading speed and an hour a day and barely 15 weeks later I've shown those tomes who's the boss. And when I'm done I will continue to tick the following books of my list. Just kidding. Seriously. I'm joking. Big tome time.


How long would it take you to plow through Game of Thrones? Are you generally a speedy reader or more the average kind like me?

6 comments:

  1. like you but this test is not quit eaccurate in my case since i do read a lot quicker when not on a screen ^^( but glad to read faster than a native)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, I do read faster when I'm holding an actual book in my hands too. Not too fast though, so to really enjoy what I'm reading. I have never understood how some people can rush through a 300 pages novel in 2 hours. If I skimmed a book like that I wouldn't remember much about it. *shakes head in wonder*

      Delete
  2. I like to think I'm a pretty quick reader but it depends on the writing style too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. It also makes quite a difference whether it's eg a light read or a non-fiction book where you need to be a lot more focused.

      Delete
  3. I took this a while ago and it was in the low 50s to get through the entire Game of Thrones series. (I think I got through them faster - I've definitely read HP faster than 34 days :-D) I guess it helps I've got a pretty long commute that I don't drive on and can read a lot more than most people :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it also depends on how much time you invest every day. I rarely read less than an hour, but then I don't get around to reading each day so it evens out. Of course, I still haven't reached the point, despite many a recommendation, to even pick up the first book in the series, so we'll not know how long I'd really take, at least not for a while.
      Apropos long commute - I've never been able to read on the train, as it makes my stomach queasy. On second thought, audio books might work rather well in that situation! :-)

      Delete