October 27, 2014

Monday Five's - My name's Bridget!

Well, actually, it isn't. But close enough, seeing how it's simply the English version of my name. What this has to do with books? Easy. Ever read a book with characters whose names reminded you of, say, someone you once had a crush on, or a little bit less fun, someone you despise? It happens to all of us from time to time. Still, even stranger than that are the moments when you read about ... yourself, sort of. Seeing how I mostly read English books I've never stumbled across my name, but nevertheless I thought long and hard about Bridget as my English alter-ego making some appearances between the pages.


I

II

III

IV

V

Admittedly I haven't read any of these books and to add insult to injury I had to browse on Goodreads for a little while to complete this list as I only knew of the first two books. Still, it was fun to go off the beaten path and throw in a children's book and a non-fiction-esque parody of sorts too. And come to think of it, the last one's theme being "Thelma and Louise on mobility scooters" kinda makes me want to read it. One day. When I am of a certain age, that is.

Have you ever read books with characters who have the same name as yours? How do you feel about literarily sharing a name? And does it dampen the reading experience for you if there is a character who shares the name with your arch-nemesis? Please share.

2 comments:

  1. i did read a few and usually i don't like it as teh character is quite my opposite ( did you see my homonyme in the city of bones series... what a b****) so i tend to avoid it but i still surprised when i come accross it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awkward to read about yourself even though it isn't really you. Even worse in my opinion is a confrontation with a likable character and its real life evil twin, ugh. I never read the City of Bones series, so luckily I only know you and never encountered your evil book twin.

      Delete